DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Dodge Ram Qc 4.7 52000 Miles. 33x12.5/17 Trxus Mud Terrains. Fouled Plugs 26000 Miles. Three Burnt Valves 28000 Miles. 50000 Cam Shaft Sheared And Timing Cam Broke. Any One Have Problems Like This With The 4.7. Had A 360 And And Never Had A Problem. 140000 Miles.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have 46k miles on mine and no probs at all. What kind of driving have you been doing? Alot of hot rodding or towing, or just normal day driving?

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
i have 38500 miles and the only problem i had was a rear main leak. but fixed now. i love the 4.7. yeah its not a hemi, but its more than enough for what i use it for. i really havent herd about problems w/ the 4.7 eather i think your one of the first.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Stinks

That stinks but I think you're the exception to the rule.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yea, I agree with b1.
I have 35K on mine and it runs like a top. No motor problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine has a little over 30K and except for a EGR bad sensor at 10K and a leaking gas cap seal at 24K I have had absolutely no problems with my truck. You've just got to remember that buying a vehicle, or anything that is mass produced, is kind of like a reverse lottery: most people "win" but a few people "lose".

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have 54,000 miles not a glitch. I love the engine. Also I drive the heck out of my 4.7. :D

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
this is making me feel better about buying another ramw/ a 4.7 i havent herd about anyone having problems like it shutting off on the highway(hemi guys) not bad mouthing i want a hemi too. or having the "hemi tick." i just think that since it has enough power for what i NEED (not want) it will work just fine.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think your problems are extremely rare. With you having so many, it makes me think something else is going on. I put almost 170,000 on my first 4.7 and only changed a TPS. I currently have 21,000 on the 4.7 in my Jeep and have had no problems. The plugs did require changing in my Dakota about every 30,000, but they were just worn, not fouled.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I have over 68,000 miles on my 4.7L and have beaten it into the ground over and over again... not one engine problem at all. I have had to replace the driveshaft, A/C Fan... and thats it. I really feel the 4.7L is one of the best engines I have EVER owned. And I have owned several engines.

It sounds like you have a bad apple.... Non of hte issues you have had are common and to have them all in the same engine is unheard of.

Good luck.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Banned
524 Posts
40k on mine..

I'm on my 2nd transmission - complete replacement @ 2K mi, 2nd rear end - not full rear, just internal parts, 18k mi., 2nd power steering pump - 18k mi. (All done under warranty)...and 2nd front suspension, that was becuase it was stolen and wrecked @ 10k mi....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I MUST HAVE A LEMON. I USE THE TRUCK FOR IS FISHING AND HUNTING, IT HAS NEVER SEEN ANY MUD DEEPER THAN 6 INCH. I MISS MY 97 360 NEVER HAD ONE PROBLEM AND DID TWICE THE WORK WITH THAT TRUCK.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problems...only 18k (03'/4.7/Quad) and my truck is smooth as silk. Good to hear about the majority of reviews sent in by you boys that bear down on your trucks on a regular basis, I do too...and the 4.7 still begs for more. Thanks for the comments. I think I'll keep her! Headers installed this Thursday...can't wait!

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I have the Hedman ceramic coated shortys... I like them alot. I did feel a difference but it was not like N2O... it was noticable though. They sound like a constant exhaust leak....LOL tich tich tich..... LOL or I guess you could say it sounds like a HEMI....LOL but thats what you get when you install headers.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is good to know Air_Ram! I just want my darling to work less and put out more, she is a daily driver and hauls the family everywhere. If you say you felt a noticable difference and are happy with them, then I am sure I will be too. Besides it is a must for future upgrades such as a solid cam. All other upgrades such as heads, cam, electric fan (& pullies) will go in when the warrenty is done, which by the way is not even close. I may come back to the programmer. I will wait for gas $s to come down. Right now what would you say are the best cam & heads combo....and can the stock heads support the cam only upgrade.....

Thanks in advance,
blkwgn.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.