DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on here and of course I'm needing some help. I've got an 02 ram 4.7 with 104K miles on it now. Needless to say when I'm coming to fairly quick stops my truck is stalling or near stalling each time. I've tried a lot of things including cleaning the tb, installing a new IAC, new plugs, adjusting the the set screw on the throttle plate then recalibrating the the IAC. Recalibrating the TPS by stepping on the pedal with the engine off. Anyway does anybody know what is going on? What happens when i come to a stop is the rpms drop to a near normal range of 7-800 rpms following I get surge up to about 1200 rpms. Following the rpms drop to near 200 rpms and resurges out of it to 800 rpms and dies or just dies from 200 depending on whether the truck is warmed up or not. Things get a little more stable as the truck warms up but the problem is still there. Any suggestions open. I used sea foam too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks schmedley. The guy at autozone said it sounded like a torque converter lock up sensor problem. It makes sense due to the fact it seems like I don't have the problem unless coming to a stop from higher speeds. Also if I stop really slow I have very little problems. I was told by a friend that sensor is in the tranny so I pretty much gave up on checking it. The weird thing was when I bought the truck there was no problem however the transmission was shifting funny I took it back about 6 times to the local dealer to have them look at the tranny and they went into it once and looked at it. I end up fixing the tranny myself by simply pulling a little fluid off of it but the truck started dying shortly after. I am starting to think they screwed something up when trying to fix the tranny.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is a TSB 18-030-02, similar to your complaint. You need to see if your PCM is up to date. You would have to go to the dealer and see if your PCM can be updated.

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
I had the same problem when I had the tranny flushed and they didn't add enough fluid. I added some and it went away. But it does sound like the torque convertor is not unlocking and stalling you out to me.

Andrew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Atlantic,

I pulled fluid off this summer to get the truck to shift right from 2nd to 3rd. Needless to say I'm guessing you are right. I bought the truck with 96k miles last spring. I have a story about 2 hours long in regards to the problems I have been through on this. After purchasing I quickly realized my truck was not looked at in anyway by the dealership. Lucky for me the truck did have a 3000k mile 3 month warranty that was pretty much full coverage. The rear end got rebuilt for free and they went ahead and turned my rotors too. One thing they could never get to work right was my tranny shifting from 2nd to 3rd correctly. I really believe they made an honest attempt to fix it however it just seemed like the stars never lined up for them on it. After searching for fixes on the internet for fixes to my problem I found a thread mentioning to add fluid or take it away. Adding didn't work but removing did. Soon afterward my truck started dying at stops. It should have been obvious but I'm not much of mechanic however I'm learning. I believe i removed somewhere around 3/4 of a quart from the middle of the safe range to get my shifts where I felt they were normal which put the fluid level right at the end of the dipstick. If I add just a little more fluid my quirky second to 3rd shifts will come back. Kind of funny my truck is currently at a different dealer than where I purchased the truck and they have charged me 250 dollars to replace my IAC and MAP sensors trying to keep it from dying. I specifically told them I had pulled excess fluid off the tranny to make it shift right. They have been on the phone with Chrysler trying to troubleshoot as their scanner won't find the problem and with the new parts the truck still dies. This may not be the problem but I'm guessing it is. You would think they might have caught on. So here is the deal. I'm pretty confident I can solve the dying problem by adding fluid. However what is the fix for the shift problem? Keep in mind I had the techs at the dealership I bought it from look at the truck at least 5-6 times. The solenoid pack was pulled and replaced along with a class a overhaul or something like that was done on the tranny. At the end they were acting like it was just something to get used to. I paid 14,500 dollars for a truck that had a shift problem and I'm not happy about that but the fact nobody at the dealerships seem able to fix it sucks. What should I do? Thanks for all input folks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.