DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are looking at getting a travel trailer this spring, and I was just curious if anyone else on here with a 4.7 dango could help me out with how much this small block is capable of hauling?

I looked in the door jam but and it doesn't say anything except the G.V.R.W. I had a salesman at the RV dealership guess, and he said max 7300 lbs. I thought that was quite high for a little V8. The trailers we are looking at so far are only 4500 lbs dry weight. Any input or past experiences are very appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
190 Posts
we can hull around 5800 depending on the rear axle

http://www-5.dodge.com/towing5/D/vehicle_2_weight_results.jsp?franchise=D&year=6&familyMarket=U&familyDivision=T&vehicleFamily=DURANGO&model=SLT&bdy_style=U%255ET%255EDURANGO%255E6%255ESLT%255E%255E4WD&bed_wheel=U%255ET%255EDURANGO%255E6%255ESLT%255E%255E4WD^&engine_trans=U%255ET%255EDURANGO%255E6%255ESLT%255E%255E4WD%255E%255E4.7-Liter+Magnum%2528R%2529+V8+Engine%255E5-Speed+Automatic+545RFE+Transmission

·
Registered
102 Posts
G.V.W.R. is the total hauling capacity of your vehicle, including vehicle.
so if you subtract the weight of your vehicle and passengers from gvwr, that is what you should be able to safely haul.

example: my big rig has a gvwr of 80,000 lbs. my rig and trailer weighs 32,000lbs. so i can haul 48,000 lbs.

*edit* g.v.w.r = gross vehicle weight rating.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh i see thanks man.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On the '05 4.7L you have a tow rating of about 7,200 (with 3.92 axle) or 5850 (with 3.55 axle). Your GVWR is the weight that you can actually load onto the axles of the D (gas, passengers, cargo). The GCWR is that total that the D carry AND tow.
Remember that the weight that the trailer mfg quotes is without any options (awning, propane tanks, a/c, etc). It is pretty easy to add several hundred pounds in food/clothing/cargo/etc in the trailer too! I have had my share of TT's and 5ers. I have learned the hard way that salespeople are only looking out for themselves and don't know squat about your tow vehicle.
If your looking at TT's around the 4500# dry weight, I would say that you are close to your limit.
Check out www.rv.net You'll find some useful info and helpful people on the forum there.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Bah these new vehicles are nothing like the good 'ol days :p I towed 5500lbs with my 87 chrysler fifth ave with a 318, 3spd auto and a 2.2 rear end purfectly fine. (Sorry had to be said)

That being said the most I've towed with my D was 7500lbs(or abouts, plus 300-400lbs in the D without me) my dad's Ram on the hauler, the D handled it pretty good, definatly would need some sort of load leveler/wdh for a longer trip.

Now while the 5th would tow that much perfectly fine Chrysler's Tow rating for it was 2200lbs, I could tow 3500lbs all day long and not worry a bit, 5500lbs I was careful. I got the D because I do tow so much and it wasn't worth the risk of the Transport cops giving me a ticket/hard time... Plus the D barely notices my 2200lbs empty trailer back there acceleration wise (a bit, like 3 seconds on 0-60) with a car back there too, so 5100lbs the D is slower accelerating, but I'm not trying as hard due to the weight, on the highway other that the bumps being firmer the trailer doesn't direct the D at all. Except for last week, but the highway was literally sheer ice, I had to turn my trailer brakes right off as they'd lock up and the trailer would kick out, then the rear would pull out a touch, but still in control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.