DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an amazing '02 Dodge Ram, quad cab, 4wd, with the 4.7 in it, only needs some "minor" work hopefully, but I do know that I have cracked cylinder heads, what work would it take to replace those, do I need to actually take the engine out? My father (who is a mechanic) will be doing the work, but he was unsure and doesn't have the time at the moment to do the research, so here I am. I'm wondering if it will be easier to replace the engine completely, considering it has almost 200k miles on it, like I said, i only spent 500$ on it, so any suggestions? :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just finished the heads job myself (last night). It is not really too diffucult, just very time consuming, and must be done in the correct order. I went ahead and used my old heads, they just needed to be cleaned, and have new seals. There are a few guys on here that have the heads for sale, if not I would look for an entire engine. Either way, you will find a lot of help on here, these guys are great, and offer a wealth of information.

Welcome to Dodge Talk!

·
pjdhill
168 Posts
Can you tell me how you got the crankshaft damper off? I've spent 3 hours trying and only have a bent puller to show for my efforts. Did you use any of the 'special' tools to pull it or just a 3 prong puller or??

T H A N K ! ! ! pj

·
Burried In The Mud
57 Posts
I used a blue point puller from Snap-on. It is specifically for removing the dodge balancer pulleys. Mine came off with a fight, but it was a lot easier with the right puller. I had to heat up the inside of the pulley sleeve to get it back on. But once I warmed it up with a bernzomatic, it slid right on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.