DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Durango's. One is a 01 with a 5.9 that is smashed hard on the side and rear. The other is an 02 with a 4.7 that needs a motor. Seems the oil pump gave up and the lower end went with it!

So I am wondering if the swap be performed with relative ease. The mechanical end of it is nothing to me as I swap motors, trannies, etc with no issues.

However, I am wondering if anyone has done this. Since I have both trucks and they are complete I am thinking it can not be that bad. On the surface it seems I will definately need the 5.9 harness and computer.

Does anyone know if there will be any other potential issues with the switch/ This truck is going to be a daily driver if it gets to involved I will just get a replacement 4.7. Just wanted to throw this out there since the 4.7's are big money at the salvage yards and I will own both trucks for less than what a replacement 4.7 will cost.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you would need to switch EVERYTHING!!! powertrain all wiring under hood and inside and computers im not sure if the front diffs are the same if its 4x4 cause of motor mount locations and i cant remember if the dash bourds are different or not

·
New name, same taste!
1,586 Posts
In all honesty, you're better off getting a junkyard motor. You'll need to swap not only the engines, computers, and wiring, but you'll need to swap the transmissions as well. I know this may not be a huge task, but I don't know what the wiring differences are beyond the connector in the cab. For many simplicities sake, I would just salvage the 5.9L Durango and get a replacement 4.7L for the one that needs it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In all honesty, you're better off getting a junkyard motor. You'll need to swap not only the engines, computers, and wiring, but you'll need to swap the transmissions as well. I know this may not be a huge task, but I don't know what the wiring differences are beyond the connector in the cab. For many simplicities sake, I would just salvage the 5.9L Durango and get a replacement 4.7L for the one that needs it.
Yeah I agree. That about sums it up!

Thanks!

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
i will second that with all the harness connections in the cab. You will need to switch over pretty much everything from under the hood of your 5.9 to possibly make it work. Once you try to get that harness to marry to any connectors inside your cab, your gonna have a world of hurt.

Side note: if you decide to get rid of any part of your 5.9, let me know. i have been looking everywhere for the fuse panel cover that is under the hood.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i was just looking on my computer at work and they offered the 5.9 and 4.7 in 01 and 02 so the mounts and the frame should be the same its just a ton of work to switch everything i would have to agree find a used or a reman 4.7 maybe part out the 5.9

·
Banned
399 Posts
Dang, I just seen a 4.7 engine for sale just don't remember where I seen it.. great price though.. If I can find it I will post it for ya.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.