DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have 4.56s. Did your cruise control stop working when you try to use it over 50 MPH?

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
johncode said:
For those who have 4.56s. Did your cruise control stop working when you try to use it over 50 MPH?
NO not at all... I have used mine up to 90MPH ... Not sure whats up with yours but Im sure its not the gears...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its weird, 10-49 MPH it works like a charm, then after that it doen't even come on?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I read another member whose cruise would kick off at 70 and not reset above that speed. I think he said it had something to do with his gear change, but I don't know what he did about it.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After 200+ miles, I'm not that impressed with the 4.56s. They did add a little pep when I take off, but it doesn't feel like a big difference and after 30 MPH it feels the same as stock 3.92s. My MPG dropped from 15.6 to 14.2. Oh well, had to try it. :D

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
WHAT! You must be driving with your foot through the floor from every stop. There is no way you lost MPG unless you have been driving hard. As for it feeling like your 3.92 from 30MPH... LOL see if you got anyone in your HOOD with a HEMI with 3.92 and see how he/she stacks up... I bet they dont... and you will WALK them from 0 from 10MPH from 20MPH from 30MPH From 40MPH... ... Ok Perhaps is feels the same but it isnt! Have you taken her to the track yet?

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AIR_RAM said:
WHAT! You must be driving with your foot through the floor from every stop. There is no way you lost MPG unless you have been driving hard. As for it feeling like your 3.92 from 30MPH... LOL see if you got anyone in your HOOD with a HEMI with 3.92 and see how he/she stacks up... I bet they dont... and you will WALK them from 0 from 10MPH from 20MPH from 30MPH From 40MPH... ... Ok Perhaps is feels the same but it isnt! Have you taken her to the track yet?

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
I've only had them for a couple of days, I just expected a little more. My MPG comparison is based on my MPG after a fill-up and overhead reset before the gear swap and filling up at the gas station around the corner of the shop with the overhead reset after the swap. I was driving like a granny before and after the swap so I could compare, maybe it'll get better :D

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
I got 4.56's and no issues with cruise

I did have an issue with cruise once, it would work like a charm sitting still, but at any mph reading it wouldn't work, it was because the dealership set my rpms of my tires wrong

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
warp said:
John, give it a chance, dont make us look bad down here
Take a cruise and calk the milage
Well, I just got back from a 100 mile highway trip and got 14.9 MPG :bawl:

The speed limits were 50-70 MPH. I got my best mileage at 50-60(16.1) and my worst at 65-75(14.2). I've made the same trip 5 times before (Cedar Park to Ft Hood) with my 3.92s and got 17.8-19.1(full bed-empty). I even drove to Waco to drop off some rims to Ramlion a month ago and got 19.7 MPG at 75 MPH.

Before I left(both ways), I fiilled up again and reset the trip computer. I did not floor it the whole time................

Air Ram, help me out here!

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I think you should sell the truck and buy a ricer (KIA) perhaps. Those Ram trucks are way over rated. lol

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mitchgmace said:
I think you should sell the truck and buy a ricer (KIA) perhaps. Those Ram trucks are way over rated. lol
I'm not making an overall gas mileage complaint. I would keep my truck if it got 10 MPG. I'm just wondering were this 4.56 magic is. There are a few posters saying your MPG gets better with 4.56s and its the best mod they ever did. I'm just relaying my results. I'll probably keep the gears, just a little disappointed with the results thus far.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Don't fear the gear? This guy is not as happy as all the other 4.56 guys? What's up Don't fear the gear guys.
Maybe a little of not as much gains and cruise control problems.
I was just joking about the KIA crap.
But, sorry to hear your unhappy.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Don't get me wrong 0 to 30MPH is a good improvement!

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
do your tires spin better with the gears?

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Well I must be completely honest with you... Like any mod that improves performance you can not get BOTH in the same tank of gas... If you get on it you will consume more fuel... thats the facts... I really dont feel your giving them a fair shot...

If you honestly drive it a full tank of gas without getting on it... YOU WILL get better fuel economey than you did before. You really have not had the gears in long enough to burn one tank of gas and already you have made your mind up. And Im sure this tank has had more than one "Light Stab" of the gas...for a feel of the new gears... This is going to consume more fuel. Again give them a fair shot....

If you lightly take off from a stop and you do not floor it for that seat in the pants feel ... the 4.56's are going to deliver you better fuel economey... No majic here... just easy driving. Ultimately your right food will detirmin how much fuel you consume.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mitchgmace said:
do your tires spin better with the gears?
They chirp, but thats from a dead stop. Not power braking or whatever its called. I haven't really tried to spin them

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
I am completely satisfied with the gear change. I got better performance and better gas mileage. I know that when I first got the gears installed and took it easy for the first 500 miles my gas mileage went up. But after the break in I have been goosing it here and there and my average is 11.5 city driving and urban roads. I haven't had the chance to get it out on the highway yet. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

I haven't tried the cruise control at 70 or higher but I know it works at 50 and 55. Now since I read the above posts I think I should take it out on the highway and see what happens.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its kinda funny, when some one gets 4.56s and their MPG improves instanly because they are being easy breaking them in its "Praise the Lord". But, I decide to take it easy before and after the swap driving the same amount of miles(2 trips back and forth to work each) to get a real grasp on the MPG, I'm not being honest. I've filled up 3 times and reset the overhead each fill up to see the results. I understand if I would have just kept on reseting the overhead on the same tank of gas. I'm not condeming the gears, they make your truck faster. There is no dispute on that :D :D

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
I will have to admit one thing and that is I did the swap for the performance more than the gas mileage. If they had the 4.88 gears out at the time I would have put them in instead of the 4.56 gears. The last time I checked the 4.88 gears will be available late this year.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.