DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to pick my baby up here in 15 minutes! I haven't been this excited since I first drove if off the dealership lot! Hopefully everything goes well. I'll post more info tonight.

I went with TX drive train, just north of Fort Worth.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Sweet Bro... cant wait to here your responce....

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
406 Posts
Let us know how you like them!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only regret is....

I wish I would have ^%$^%$^%&^ gotten them the day after I drove my truck off the lot!

I wasn't abusing it, but [email protected] With a 5.7 and 4.56 gears, they don't make a hill big enough for this thing to drop out of over drive.

My prelimary findings are good. My truck used to get 12 MPG highway (at my standard 80 MPH).

On a 5 mile stretch, it was close to 14 MPG at 80MPH with the AC on. It don't sound like much, but it is!

Air-ram. I took your advice and went with TX drivetrain. It's a small operation, but a good one. Jason (technician) was actually using a torque wrench and a run-out gauge! You don't see that type of quality anymore.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Stupid question here. What do you have to do to correct the speedo for the gear change? Looking at possibly putting in the 4:10 in mine.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bear-31 said:
Stupid question here. What do you have to do to correct the speedo for the gear change? Looking at possibly putting in the 4:10 in mine.
No. The speed sensor is in the rear axle. Usually it's in the transmission, but not our dodges. My speedometer was accurate before and after the gear change.

That is, I have slightly more RPMs to maintain the same speed as before.

Trust, us! Go for the 4.56, you won't be disappointed. If I didn't drive 80 MPH on the highway, I would have opted for the 4.88s.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And on a side note, you'll be able to liquify those tires on your 17" rims with 4.56 gears!

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
I picked up my truck today also. Had the 4.56s installed with a Auburn posi carrier. First thing I noticed is it doesn't take as long to get up to speed. I turned on to a road and mashed the gas a little harder and she slide side ways a little bit. "Cool, thats different!" I said to myself. I should say that the roads were wet. I haven't checked the gas mileage yet, but I love the way the truck acts for sure now. I have ordered a valve body for the transmission from The Fastman.com. Dan is a good guy and he is going to set up the valve body for what I want and also to the trucks tire size etc. He said it will chirp the tires when it hits second YEAH BABY!!

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
I've heard some scary prices lately for the parts and labor.

What'd it run?

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
04 hemi What are the best 4.88 gears? And how much? Thank YOU

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Right beside amount is shipping and the parts total. It will of coarse be cheaper if you go with just the gears.

Description : AUB542070-HIGH PERFORMANCE SERIES POSI/LIMITED SLIP - CHRY
9.25 inch - LATE STYLE 1984 - HAS PROVISI HIGH PERFORMANCE SERIES
POSI/LIMITED SLIP - Great posi traction using solid cone clutches with
multi 359.95 (1.00);
Amount : 390.65

(USD)Description : MOTC925-456-RING & PINION 4.56 RATIO - CHRY 9.25 inch RING &
PINION 4.56 RATIO 207.90 (1.00); ORS352028-Chrysler Corporate 9.25 Master
Install Kit includes:: Timken Carrier Bearings, Timken Pinion Bearings,
Pinion Nut, Pinion Se 94.95 (1.00);
Amount : 330.26 (USD)

And it cost me $228.00 for the install. Total= $948.91 Its not that bad if you say it fast!!! :D

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Code:
hemi1569 said:
04 hemi What are the best 4.88 gears? And how much? Thank YOU
The last time I checked on the 4.88 gears they are due to come out late this year sometime. That is on Randy's Ring and Pinion were I saw that. Now I have not checked it all over the internet, but I believe Randy's would be on top of it.Check them out.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kruser79 said:
I've heard some scary prices lately for the parts and labor.

What'd it run?

$425 installed, parts and labor.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mullinax05 said:
I picked up my truck today also. Had the 4.56s installed with a Auburn posi carrier....
Happy 4.56 day to us! Be sure to light 4.56 candles (4 big ones and 1 medium one).

I'll have to research your diff. Sounds nice. I've read that the stock LSD diff likes to shed parts.

·
RAM user
63 Posts
senglehart said:
$425 installed, parts and labor.

where did you go to get this done? .... i live in NRH, Hurst area!

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Code:
I'll have to research your diff. Sounds nice. I've read that the stock LSD diff likes to shed parts.[/QUOTE]

I know I saw that and wanted to go with the Auburn. I had a Auburn is a 68 Charger and it saw a lot of abuse with no problems. I called the Dodge dealership and asked them about there stock limited slip diff and they told me $700 and someting. I said I bet you don't sell to many of them do you and he told me that between me and the fence post go by you a aftermarket one they are cheaper. I saw some stock ones on e-bay for $125 but I wouldn't have one it you gave it to me because of there failures.

I hope you enjoy the gears !!:D

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Charvel350 said:
where did you go to get this done? .... i live in NRH, Hurst area!
Jason at Texas Drivetrain Performance will install gear for 425.00 parts and labor... shop around and you learn real quick that the closest you will find to that is 700+ bucks....

If you need a POSI carrier then the price will be more... but if you have the limited slip then your looking at 425.00

Its important you tell him AIR RAM sent you when you call him.

Here is his Web site:

http://www.txdrivetrain.com/_wsn/page3.html

He can also get parts that MOST other shops can not get.

His address has changed so do NOT use the map on his site... you will get lost!

Give him a shout and let me know what he tells you.

I live in EULESS.... If you like Give me a call:

817 800 7760

I will give you all the information you need to get it done...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
RAM user
63 Posts
thanks for the info .... i just may give you a call ..... was that with parts and labor or just labor

·
RAM user
63 Posts
nevermind ... i just saw your other post on that other thread :crazy: :D

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
If you have a limited slip... thats the entire DEAL! PARTS and LABOR 425.00 + Tax out the door...

You can not beat this at all anywhere... He has doen SEVERAL Dodges in our area, mine was the first one... and I have had 4.56's installed for well over a year now... Love them!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.