DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy gave me a set of gears for my 2000 ram 9-1/4 rear out of another ram that was wrecked, they are aftermarket and look VERY new. They are 4.56's and i now have 3.55's and a richmond gear locker. since i wont have to change the carrier over the locker should be able to stay put and this change should be pretty straight forward.
What about the front dana 44? do i need the thick gear?
Wheres a cheap place to get gears?
And is 4.56's too steep, i do have 32" tires.

Doing the online calcs at www.4lo.com show only about 4-500 rpm increase at cruising speeds, and as of now it bogs so bad that trying to maintain 55mph on any slight grade causes downshifting, i actually think that due to the high amount of hilly terrain here in PA that i may actually get better mileage because i wont have to downshift so much or bog the poor lil 318.
Anyone here have 4.56's and can help?

Thanks.

·
RoaringRam
408 Posts
Are you planning on upgrading to a larger tire, adding a lift kt, etc to your truck in the future? If so, I'd go ahead with the 4.56's. If you're planning on leaving it stock, you may want to go with 4.10's.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have to stay budget minded though, its either stay with the 3.55's or drop in the free 4.56 rear and pop fora front ring and pinion.
I would actually like to go to about a 33 but thats probably it. I dont see much highway driving at all, the truck spends about 60% of the time on hilly back roads and 30% dirt roads and 10% highway.

Edit, sorry, i actually have 33's and i dont want to go any larger because these currently rub my steering bar under full steer and if i hit a slight bump. It is possible i may go to a slightly larger tire if i think the 4.56's are too steep though, maybe 35's

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
If you engine is weak, go with the 4.56s.
Plus the extra mechanical advantage will keep your tranny from hunting when you are trying to acclerate up hills in O/D.
With 33s, 4.11s are fine.
When I bolt up the 35s I can't even think about using O/D.
If I had it to do over, I'd probably go with the Yukon 4.11s again.
It's a good all around gear. I run 33s on the street and have no problems with O/D as long as I'm traveling at 45 mph or faster. I can lite off the 33s, and still get 12-13 city and 16 highway.
With 4.56s you might lose a little highway mileage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.