DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the 4.56 gear threads and questions, I figured I would share my latest mpg results from on my road trip from So. Calif. to Laughlin NV.

04 Quad 4x4 Hemi, lifted with 315/70/17 BFG a/t's.

I used a GPS to make sure my odometer was accurate. It was pretty freakin' close.

Anyways, 13.8 mpg, up and down hills on the I-15 & I-40 with the cruise control set most of the time @ speeds between 75 and 80 mph. At those speeds my rpm's stayed between 2200 & 2500rpm's.

NO gear hunting on hill's with those 4.56's. They are the SH**.

(and the 34-gal gas tank meant no stops at busy interstate gas stations)

·
HEMI
916 Posts
really how are your take offs. D

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
What was your average MPG? Did you try to see where your BEST MPG would come in at? Im sure it would have been at a lower speed than what you where driving at. Its great to see more people with the 4.56's....

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yeah I did a 100 mile trip lastnight to get an average for mpg and when I was done I ended up with 20 mpg average...i set the cruise at 70 mph. This includes exiting off of 20 and stopping at sonic for a milk shake. I was very happy with it.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
LOL... and everyone will tell you your really are not getting that good of fuel economey because its JUST NOT POSSIBLE.... LOL Im happy you did the math and chose the RIGHT gear for your truck. The 4.56's are a GREAT gear to have for both fuel economey and performance.... Again its like having your cake... and eating it too!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yeah they are awesome. Thanks again for the help Air_Ram.

·
My coinholder adds 15 HP!
1,441 Posts
I want to order some but have no idea which kind or any of the technical stuff I need to know.....

I have a lift and 4 355/60R20 Nittos on the way so I know i'm going to need some different gears. Should I still go with the 4.56's or go with 4.88's with that size tire??

·
HEMI
916 Posts
AIR_RAM said:
LOL... and everyone will tell you your really are not getting that good of fuel economey because its JUST NOT POSSIBLE.... LOL Im happy you did the math and chose the RIGHT gear for your truck. The 4.56's are a GREAT gear to have for both fuel economey and performance.... Again its like having your cake... and eating it too!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
what kind of gears do you have Air_Ram

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
cj_morin said:
what kind of gears do you have Air_Ram

I have teh MOTIVE 4.56's... They do have a slight wine at 40-50MPH but its not that bad. I plan to have it adjusted out as soon as I get some time.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
HEMI
916 Posts
AIR_RAM said:
I have teh MOTIVE 4.56's... They do have a slight wine at 40-50MPH but its not that bad. I plan to have it adjusted out as soon as I get some time.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
i am not really worried about the wine hell with my exhaust i have to crank the shit out of my radio.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Because with 4.56's I can get 20+ and pull a house down the street in overdrive at the same time. And I can walk all over ANY 4.7L and most stock 5.7L's all the way to 80+MPH.... there HP takes over at that point but Im working on it.

With 4.56's there is absolutly zero downshifting for hills.... and if it does downshift for a hill ... THATS ONE HECK OF A HILL!

Towing things is like towing NOTHING.... You will easily forget you have somthing behind you... and this includes while towing on HILL's!

I would bet money that on a cross country trip of 2000+ miles at 65MPH average speed, a truck equipped with 4.56's will get better fuel economey than a truck with 3.55's... Because each hill you hit with those 3.55's is going to suck your tank dry.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.