Which do you guys prefer?
How many Mpg's will i lose with either
and

where did you get yours?

and if you can some specs on what i would need to get for both

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
i went with the 456 and my milage went up 1-2 mpg mainly due to not going in and out of od like it did with the 355 plus i dont have to put my foot to the floor to get going i can take it easier as for what you would need you have to replace the carrier in the front for either ratio the back just needs new gears and if you go with the 456 gears you have to grind the tips of a couple teeth to get the pin back in but its just minor and doesnt affect the gears

i rebuilt everything in the axles when i did mine the gears i got from summit everything else i got from ratech because they are right here in cincy but summit also carries everything ratech makes

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
I think if you are going with stock tires 4.10. Larger tires go 4.56.

I really like my 4.10. I am not able to go 100mph+ while before 90 max. Strange I know but it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have 33in tires not stock

about how much did the 4.56 and everything cost?
i dont know much about drivetrains

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
go to air-ram.com, look at their deals.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
all together i spent around 1000.00 and did the work myself but as i said before i replaced everything bearings,seals,gears and front carrier

·
46re(tarded)
352 Posts
i have 33in tires not stock

about how much did the 4.56 and everything cost?
i dont know much about drivetrains
I'm in the process of doing 4.56's right now and i have 33's. Even if i had stock tires i would do the 4.56 just because these trucks need all the gear they can get to get going.

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
I know for me 4.10 cost me $1000 installed.

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
Yep it includes everything

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts

·
46re(tarded)
352 Posts
Well just got my 4.56's done and broke in, big seat of the pants difference in acceleration, no more slouch off the line. If i were to do it again i would go no less, i'd even consider a 4.88.

·
Former Ram owner
425 Posts
sorry to hijack, but what would you guys that tow go for.. 4.56 or 4.88? I tow my Jeep around which weighs in around 7500lbs with trailer included. Its fine once I get going, but can barely climb hills and takes forever to get going.
Thanks

kenny

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
sorry to hijack, but what would you guys that tow go for.. 4.56 or 4.88? I tow my Jeep around which weighs in around 7500lbs with trailer included. Its fine once I get going, but can barely climb hills and takes forever to get going.
Thanks

kenny
depends on your tire size my 456 pulls my 19 ft bass boat no problem and its a 1980 glasstron so its heavy of course the 175 evenrude on the back doesnt help

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
Well just got my 4.56's done and broke in, big seat of the pants difference in acceleration, no more slouch off the line. If i were to do it again i would go no less, i'd even consider a 4.88.
glad to hear you got them done any other problems getting them in:cheerl::cheerl::cheerl::cheerl::cheerl:

·
46re(tarded)
352 Posts
glad to hear you got them done any other problems getting them in:cheerl::cheerl::cheerl::cheerl::cheerl:
No i actually got damn lucky, the center section would only go in with no shims and was snug, well with no shims it sat at .007 backlash (should wear out to .008 and be fine) and the wear pattern was textbook perfect on the drive side.

offroadzj- i would go no lower than 4.56. the selection between '56 and '88 is up to you though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.