DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty guys, what do you think? Should I get 4.10's or 4.56's? I'm leaning towards 4.56's, but I really don't wanna destroy my highway mileage, not to mention up the wear and tear with the rmp increase. I have a 3.7L V6 with a NV-3500 5 speed. Currently at 75mph in 5th I'm at about 2200rpms, give or take. I love my V6, it's got more balls than you would think, but it's still a V6. Anyone who has a 3.7L with 4.10's or 4.56's please reply and let me know what your rpm's are at different speeds. Much thanks!!

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
4.56... As long as you don't drive with a heavy foot on starts and redlining every damn gear with the 4.56's you'll only GAIN mpgs. and for wear and tear.. HARDLY.
Read my sig. For those who know.. DO NOT FEAR THE GEAR.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
KaPPaBaLL said:
4.56... As long as you don't drive with a heavy foot on starts and redlining every damn gear with the 4.56's you'll only GAIN mpgs. and for wear and tear.. HARDLY.
Read my sig. For those who know.. DO NOT FEAR THE GEAR.
Im sorry KaPPaBaLL if your going yo join the club :D you need to place the "DONT FEAR THE GEAR" at the top of your sig.... so it can always be seen. It must be in LARGE BOLD letters ...... you may use "DONT" or "DO NOT" its your choice....LOL

4.56's will give your 3.7L a large kick in the ars up to you let off the gas. Your RPMs will not be bad at all at 70MPH as you may gain about 300 RPMs at that speed.... but even though your RPM's will be a little higher your fuel economey will be better.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
KaPPaBaLL said:
4.56... As long as you don't drive with a heavy foot on starts and redlining every damn gear with the 4.56's you'll only GAIN mpgs.
Um, how about someone that does drive with a heavy foot on starts and redlining every damn gear...

What brand gear set did you get KaP? I'm trying to get some imput from those that have them. Air Ram runs a Motive set, which I have much respect for. I'm gonna talk to my guy and see what he recomends also.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i dont redline often but i do travel at 80-85 most of the time, so which of the two would be better for my MPG?

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
How many HIGHWAY miles and City miles do you do a Month?

If you do more city driving with a few 80MPH blast on the highway then the gain in fuel economey in the city will offset the SMALL loss at 80MPH. I would bet you would see close to 16-17MPG at 80MPH.... While in the city you would see an easy 2-3MPG gain over whatever your getting now. And if you ever did decide to drive at 70-75MPH you would see close to 19-20MPG.

So in my opinion the 4.56's would be hard to beat.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
105 Posts
nick, i drive interstate 1 hour to and from work 5 days a week. except for the 1 toll booth halfway and the 3 minutes of town driving on either end of my trip i'm at 80 mph the whole time. then on my off days i generally drive my other toy...JEEP.

so, would i be better off to do 4.10's? looking at 295/70/17 nitto terra grapplers as my next tires in a month or two...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks for all the info guys! I'll definetly get the 4.56's. One other thing though, can my rear end take them without a posi? Or will I tear my rear end apart if I'm ever hard on it?

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
moparram03 said:
Cool, thanks for all the info guys! I'll definetly get the 4.56's. One other thing though, can my rear end take them without a posi? Or will I tear my rear end apart if I'm ever hard on it?
yes but why wouldn't you want posi in there? get it while it's open. And no, it won't tear your rear end apart unless you did some high rpm launches..

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
LOL.... that POOR tire is going to go bald real quick if you dont get a POSI unit. YOU NEED A POSI. Dont try to save a buck by skipping out on a POSI unit. You can get a stock one or chose from several aftermarket ones... but YES you do need one with a 4.56 gear... if you dont that ONE WHEEL WONDER is going to melt right off the rim each time you floor it. And as soon as that ONE tire goes bald you will be wanting a POSI.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Air Ram, I have a posi diff so all I need is the gear set correct? When I swapped gears in my TA I had to change carriers to swap the gears. So I bought posi and all. More coin.

And the ASP issue. Did your pulley have a rubber section around the hub of the pulley? I had an ASP on the TA and this rubber section dried up and broke apart causing the pulley to become untrue. I replaced it with a solid metal underdrive not made my ASP.

·
RamFever
601 Posts
I have talked to Jason at Texas Drivetrain Performance and he says that since I have the Limited Slip differential that all I needed was the gears. Hope that answers your question BW.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Yes... if your truck came with the limited slip then you do not need a NEW POSI unless you want a more reliable set up... The stock one have been know to take a crap without notice.

I plan on getting a POWERTRAXS for my truck soon.

The problem with the ASP Pulley is it just was not designed to fit properly... thats it bottom line. Im talking with them as we speack trying to get it all worked out... I think the pictures I sent them turned the little lightbulb on and they now realize they may have a problem...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
12 Posts
gears

where do yall get the gears at i stay in east texas and how much are they

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
merc43amg said:
I have talked to Jason at Texas Drivetrain Performance and he says that since I have the Limited Slip differential that all I needed was the gears. Hope that answers your question BW.

It does. Thanks. Now all I need is a link to a good dealer. I have a guy to insert them, I just need the set.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Do you have a link where I could find my 4.56s?

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
TEXAS DRIVETRAIN PERFORMANCE

Call Jason and he will hook you up with the BEST prices, make sure you tell him AIR RAM sent you!

Address:

Texas Drivetrain Performance
850 Blue Mound Rd.
Suite 108
Haslet, TX 76052

Contact Information:

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 817-300-6840

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday Approximately 10:00am-6:00pm
We work by appointment only - please contact in advance to schedule an appointment.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
12 Posts
gears

hey what rpm are you at with the 4:56 @70 and 4:10 @70

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
jrhodes said:
Will changing gears void the warranty?
IF AND ONLY IF they can directly blame the gear ratio as the problem. If not, they can say all the bulls*** they want. You're not out of warranty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.