DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking that my trans is tore up again and this will or should I say it might be its 3rd time that it might be rebuilt. The shop rebuilt the transmission and replaced quite a bit of parts and the total price was 2300. One little part costed 800 buck. It looks like 3 little gears on 2 thrust washers or something. Anyway ill post later when I go get the invoice.

They rebuilt the trans with "all soft parts" a new converter sun gear and 3 thrust bearings. Well after paying the 2300 in the final installment we went to go pick up the truck. So I pull out of the parking lot and the truck shifted out of 1st gear and into 2nd gear at 30 or higher. I didnt think anything about it because it was real cold out and thought well it could need warmed up. So after driving 30 minutes it came to me that the truck felt like it was towing something behind it, like that the trans had resistance or something. And I thought well it could need broke in because all the new parts that was installed. And so 1 hour has past and no improvement has been noticed and the truck is shifting real late from 1st to 2nd. Real noticeable late. So finally after driving all the way home that was atleast 60 or more miles to my house and a good 1 hour and 30 minutes Im just getting home and I start to think that I heard a little bit of noise coming from overdrive. So I pulled in my drive way with no improvements in the pulling like it was under strain and it turned out something was wrong with the way 1st gear was shifting.

And so I thought to myself hmmm........I wonder if the truck is pumping fluid because the shop was told to add a oil cooler to the truck because the last rebuild didnt last 100 miles because the other guy didnt check the oil cooler to see if there was fluid flow. I now it has a check valve and I believe that was bad too. So it turned out the shop didnt add a cooler and they said "we flow tested the radiator and its pumping normally" the last 3 words might not be exact except its along the lines of what he said. So I get under the truck to feel of the trans lines and guess what I found? Both lines going to the radiator was cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!And So i thought to myself "you have to be kidding me"!!!!!!! After finding out the lines were cold I got up under the truck to feel of the pan. I touched the pan for a half a sec or less or maybe less than a 1/4 sec and I felt the pain was hot enough to burn me.!!!!!! And so I reached over to touch the overdrives case and it was way more hotter than the pan!!!!for sure lol!!!

So now the shop was called and told of the problem and they said that they wouldnt pay for the tow and that we would have to bring it back in. The guy at the front desk asked if we could drive it in back and I said uhhh no!! If I drive that far with it pumping no fluid the trans will break again. The guy was very polite and nice like any clerk is suppose to be with their customers.

So I explained about the problem and then he put the mechanic on the phone. I told him about it and he went on about the radiator after I told him about the lines being cold and I forgot to mention after touching the pan I took the line loose from the radiator and I had my mother to start the truck up and put in drive to see if fluid would come out of the line, and so a drop drop came out.

And so Im told him that I would pick up a 50 dollar cooler to put on it and drive it back and he said ok. I put the cooler on and about 20 miles away from the house i started hearing some kind of noise like metal on metal real faintly below my feet, which sound like it was right below me. And while the noise had gotten louder cause I think i heard about when I got home. The pulling noticable improved on the way back which still didnt feel like normal. The improvement I noticed felt like, that if it would improve that much more then the pulling would be close to being normal. Ohh and 1st gear improved just a little bit but the shifting was still off.

And so I drove back with all the problems I described and the truck is at the shop.

So is this trans shot? I think so becuse I drove a hour and a half with no fluid pumping! And with the metal noise in the overdrive on the way home.

LOL! I never made a post this long.....Ill post back later with the invoice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Invoice

Custom Transmission Overhaul including Replacement of Necessary parts and labor. 12 months or 12000 miles warranty on parts replaced and labor. Good at one location.

CUSTOMER REMARKS: "OD not working, wont downshift"

CONVERTER: 52117855 $339
FILTER: 3515996 $9
CARRIER ASSEMBLY
4874392 $675
THRUST BEARING (3)
4446724 $11-13 a piece.
TOW $125
FLUID SERVICE $70
SHOP SUPPLIES $10

LABOR: $790
PARTS: $1415
DISCONT: $100

TOTAL WITH TAX: $2300

TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY-Remove, Install, and Overhaul
-Trans MFR CD 46RH?

Does that last part mean anything? The tranny is a 42 RH!
Im gonna fool around and try to find the prices of those parts.
BTW NOWHERE on the invoice or receipt it shows where "Supposingly" they fixed the cooling problem let alone put a new oil cooler on it even though they said they flow tested it. Last thing when I mentioned about them suppose to fix the flow problem, "the junk inside the radiator broke off when the transmission got hot"

#1 I dont think they test drove the truck!
#2 They were told why the tranny tore up last time...(OVERDRIVE AND RADIATOR)

Any thoughts? I think they should replace all parts again!

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
If the fluid smells burnt the seals will need replacing. The converter may also have debris in it if any came loose from the unflushed radiator cooler.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Umm, warranty, or call your lawyer.

He specified a REBUILD, meaning he should have fixed all aspects of the transmission, the cooler lines and passages through the radiator are an INTEGREAL part of that. That is his screw up, now he's got a freebie on his hands. I had mine done in the 96 twice at a shop and they still never got it right but it drove and I didnt feel like yelling anymore so I just dealt with it.

Next time I needed tranny work, when the trans failed on my 2000 with about 21K miles, I just rebuilt it myself. 85K miles now on it and it still barks 2nd. Yay for me.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
There is ALOT of parts missing on your receipt list. (over haul set,bands,bushings etc.) it looks like the cooler was blocked when you took it to them and it still was when you picked it up. Did you see this thread? http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237546

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys!

I also think he has a freebie on his hands! They were told specifically that the last person who rebuilt the trans did not pay any attention to the radiator. And so I told them to put a cooler on and they said ok. So time past by and they called and said the truck was fixed. And so I asked about the cooler and they said "we benched test or flow" the radiator and its operating or pumping normally.

But on the other parts your right. The guy said that a base rebuild is $780. Thats suppose to include "all soft parts and labor" and that those parts above are additional to the rebuild. Thats why the labor never moved from that amount but they dont itemize those parts.

$780 includes the soft parts and all the labor from removing the trans and disassembly and repair and install. BTW tactransman I appreciate that link I will keep it in mind. Right now it has a Ultra cool from the parts store.

Tomorrow Im gonna give them a call and remind them about the noise in Overdrive. My opinion is if they have to rebuild overdrive becuase of that noise then shouldnt they rebuild the other side as well and replace everything again??????? Oh and $400 was put on a credit card as one installement if it means anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I talked to the shop and they said that they tore down the whole transmission and that they found that the "drum and clutches was burned" So im thinking is there anything else that would be burnt?????????? Also im not sure if he meant all the clutches? I know what they look like just not sure which ones. Ill find out when I go pick the truck up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.