DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
V10
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 05 ram, and in order to save a bit of money and loose a payment, i'm considering going to a late 90's and up ram.

Question is what years were the best. I know i heard there were tranny problems in a few years.

Should i go manual, auto, 3/4 ton 1/2 ton 318 or 360

anything you think i should know....

thanks in advance

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
What you find is going to be completely based upon your own opinion. Every model has it's quirks but all are great trucks. If you don't plan on towing and want the best gas mileage, a 1500 518 5-speed is the ticket. The auto trannies are decent IF they were rebuilt by a decent shop. The stock auto's will fail. So if at all possible, find one that's been rebuilt and find the shop that rebuilt it. Since you currently have a HEMI, definitely go for the 360 in whatever you get. The 318 will disappoint you. Hell, so will the 360 but it'll disappoint you less. :)

The plenum gaskets on these magnum engines a prone to failure, but with some time on the weekend, they're not that hard to fix and for not much money. Plus, there are kits out there that offer permanent fixes for the gasket. Other than that, these older trucks are rock solid, dependable (most of them ;) ) and the owners, by in large, love them! I know I love mine.

(also, if you get a 4X4, SFA FTW!!!!)

·
V10
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd love the diesel, but i still don't like the prices, and i don't tow anything, maybe once in a great while i haul my 4 wheeler but that's about it. So the auto have problems like i thought. that's ok cause i wanted a manual anyway.

far as speed, when i get the truck sold, me and the old lady are trading in her car for either a 09 G8 gt, 09 mustang gt, or 09 challenger rt so i don't mind to mope in the truck a little

actually that brings up another question and i guess i already know the answer....

I would like to find one that is already lifted...at least 35's... so in that case i should probally look for a 3/4 ton right?

Issuses with the ifs with 35's?

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
ya could try to find a "Off-Road" package truck, they came w/ like 2 inches of lift, 4.10 gears, and a few other things;)

and, if ya want a stick, you'll either have to get a 318 or v6, the 360 never came w/ a stick:tdwn:

·
V10
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and, if ya want a stick, you'll either have to get a 318 or v6, the 360 never came w/ a stick:tdwn:

Not even in a 3/4 ton?

Did the 2500's come with 318's?

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
Not even in a 3/4 ton?

Did the 2500's come with 318's?
ok, ya got me there, i think you may be able to get the 360 w/ the 4500 5 speed:D

but if yer goin for the 2500, you may as well get a v10 truck:rck:

·
Registered
452 Posts
The 2500's never came with a 318. 360, v10, and CTD only. IMO if you're not hauling a lot, you won't NEED the CTD, but need and want are 2 different things. :D Good luck with your search!

·
V10
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like i said i would love to have the ctd, but i'm not going to pay a bunch more for it, because it is not necessary.

What do people think about the v10...i'd say i could probally pick one of those up for cheap.

are they pretty good engines?

Parts and things much more expensive on them...

plus what kinda mileage would i expect from on...not that i want to get excelent, but i don't want 4 mpg either

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
all the non-ctd's should get around 10 or so

a 2x4 ctd should get around 18 to 20 bone stock:)

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
The 3/4 tons did come with a 360 and 2 manual tranny options: the NV3500 (light duty) and the NV4500 (granny first gear, more for towing, heavier duty). You can always get a 2500 360 with the NV3500, or do what I'm doing with mine and get a 1500 360 auto and swap in the manual.

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Also, forgot to mention, since you want a lift and 35's, gears are a MUST. Any truck you get (318, 360, auto, stick) is going to be a pig with 35's and stock gears. Stock is 3:55. The 'Off Road" package trucks do a little better with 4:10's but still not great for that tire size. Try and find a truck where the P.O. Already swapped to 4:56 or higher.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Get the 360 motor & hypertech it. As far as the auto trannys go I have 137000 (2000 yr model) and its still going fine (knocking on wood)
Did reg fluid & filter changes on it of course.

·
V10
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did reg fluid & filter changes on it of course.
buying used i can't vouch for the previous owners though....

Anyone with any experience with the v10?

They follow the same rules with gears and such?

Do they make pretty good power or better off to stick with a v8

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 99 v10 QCLB with auto trans. and have hauled my tractor, quads and other equipment with no problems. Have 87,000 miles on it right now. The v10 loves to pull, so much that I wish my tranny was a five speed instead of the 4 speed. Mileage was between 11-13 with stock 245's now it's a constant 9 with 285's. Gear upgrade is in the future plans. So far I really don't regret getting the v10 over the CTD. Since there was a $7500 price difference and about 100,000 miles less on odometer.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
my suggestion go with the 2500 avoid the 97 model year (because of pcm issues) manual or auto your choice these are better suited to more mods than the 1500 5.9 for the engine this will handle pretty much anything you can throw at it

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
2500s came standard with the 318 until 1997. Not saying you should go that route, just making a correction. Also, most research indicates that the 47re has held up much better than the 46re if you're inclined to an auto.

·
V10
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2500s came standard with the 318 until 1997. Not saying you should go that route, just making a correction. Also, most research indicates that the 47re has held up much better than the 46re if you're inclined to an auto.
Which one is which... what did the 46re's come in and what did the 47's come in?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'd love the diesel, but i still don't like the prices, and i don't tow anything, maybe once in a great while i haul my 4 wheeler but that's about it. So the auto have problems like i thought. that's ok cause i wanted a manual anyway.

far as speed, when i get the truck sold, me and the old lady are trading in her car for either a 09 G8 gt, 09 mustang gt, or 09 challenger rt so i don't mind to mope in the truck a little

actually that brings up another question and i guess i already know the answer....

I would like to find one that is already lifted...at least 35's... so in that case i should probally look for a 3/4 ton right?

Issuses with the ifs with 35's?
None of the 2nd gen trucks came with IFS all solid axles.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
2wd trucks are IFS, right? All 4wd and some 3500 2wd came with solid axle.

The 47re is in 2500/3500 and the 46re is in the 1500. If I were you, I'd definitely get a manual.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.