DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
Can't really tell from the pic but if you look behind the air compressor and there is a boss on the front of the block about the size of a credit card then it is an RB(426/440) motor, if not then a B(383/400). This boss also tells the tail of the engine, if its a 440 and what year. Also with the 383 being a low deck the intake is much narrower than a 440. Like I said kinda hard to tell from the pic. Got any more pics?

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
I think that RAM MAN is testing us. I think that he knows but, he's testing us Mopar Nuts to see if we can tell the difference between a 383 and a 440 visually. Unless he really doesn't know. This is a very good one! It's like trying to tell the difference between 318, 340, and 360. One good way that I can identify a Hi Po 340 is how the way the oil filter is mounted on the side.

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
Wow, I havn't had a surprise quiz since high school. Maybe it's a slant six :D

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
slant six LOL

I got an email back from the owner

it IS a 383 car ... guess I just hadnt seen a 6 pack lookin setup on a 383

thanks

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
Ah!! I guess he wasn't testing us after all. He must of been still shopping. What kind of beast is it?

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
This car possibly should have an Air-Grabber hood with that air cleaner. The Air-Grabbber hoods on these cars are vacuum operated with a switch on the dash. I don't see any vacuum lines going to the hood though so you might want to check in to it. These hoods are very desireable. My father had a 70 GTX, 440 Six-Pack, 4-speed, Dana, Air-Grabber car when I was groing up so these cars are special to me. Nice car. :gr_patrio

·
retrogrouch
357 Posts
I need better side view to be able to tell better left and right. Mopar did some funny things in the later years a friend just bought a 79 RR badged as a 383 with a 440 under the hood vin confirms 440 build sheet says 383 and the numbers match but here is the real kicker the motor is a 68 date code.

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
It was normal for blocks to be cast several months before production of the vehicle so a 68 casting date on the block isn't really a surprise. What badges on this roadrunner are you referring to? The hood? It also wasn't uncommon for street racers to change emblems so their opponents wouldn't know what they really had under that hood.

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
I just checked Mopar Collectors guide and there are some aftermarket vendors that specialize in 6 Pack intakes, etc. There was a 6 Pack air cleaner set up with a single 4 barrel mounting plate. I guess the possibilities are endless! Thinking about getting her RAM MAN? Nice ride too, be even nicer with the Air Grabber!

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Nice! And it's a '70 RR. The nicest looking RR in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts
It's PURPLE - that means it's THE car for you, RAM MAN!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
it has a 1969 fresh air hood air cleaner set up on it. 1970 used a similar bottom but with a round filter element and orange lid.
What kind of money RM?

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
six pack said:
it has a 1969 fresh air hood air cleaner set up on it. 1970 used a similar bottom but with a round filter element and orange lid.
What kind of money RM?
really more than I wanted to pay

I'm going up tomorrow with 19

I'm sure you will know if I come back with it or not

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
The aftermarket tach in the dash is a little silly, but it's not like you couldn't find an OE replacment either used or NOS.

Weren't the OE tachs. known as the tic-toc tachs. because they had a clock in the middle of them?

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
well i hope this helps but , it has the wrong seats in it , the door panels arnt stock , the deck lid is sticking up , the passengers door is hanging out , the tac is cobbled in not to mention what i cant see, i sold my 68 coronet r/t late last summer for $21000.00 it was 10 times the car . thats to much money these people watch to much barret jackson and think they can get that kind of money.my was a 440 4spd dana car . heres some pictures

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.