DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the problem when I step on the gas hard as in a hard acceleration I look back in the rearview mirror and see lots of black looking smoke coming from the truck. What is the cause of this and it is also still using oil but not as bad the truck has 99350 miles on the ticker also I installed a M1 intake manifold on it about 2500 miles ago.

could it be blow-by where oil sneaks past the rings and gets burned off. If so how can I fix the problem. Should i just go ahead and park it for the winter and pull the motor and rebuild it????????

·
Registered
385 Posts
Oil tends to make blue smoke when it burns... A very rich condition would cause black smoke. Does the truck seem to run normal? You may want to check the compression and see where it is at, that would indicate how worn the rings and cylinders are. If they are up to par, then start looking into the fuel system.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would check the O2 sensor.Black smoke is fuel not oil

·
Registered
301 Posts
One more thing that you could check first is the plugs to see if you have one black one.If so swap it with another to see if you have a dead plug or an injector stuck open

·
Registered
270 Posts
Might not necessarily be a bad thing...could be the engine blowing a bunch of carbon buildup from something. Does it do this repeatedly, or was it just that once?

·
Registered
161 Posts
My 98 ram with a 360 would puff some black smoke when i stood on it. which wasnt a whole lot. if it doesnt do it every time i wouldnt mess with it. it just cleaning out the carbon build up. i would check the plugs like was sugested

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Wide open the engine is in open loop, so the O2 isn't likely. I had the timing on my '78 set at the edge of pinging at full-throttle and it would clear it's chambers for about 500 feet, only when it pinged.
--B-300--

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
It must be leaking internally. Have you checked the compression yet? This will indicate ring were if it's low and increases after putting a spoonful of oil into the plug holes and retest. (write down your numbers to compare and share)
Another possibty is intake leakage into a port, even though you have an M-1 intake.
A small leak over time will cause build-up in the chambers that will come off with the pedal to the metal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.