DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have a 1974 318 that has 1976 360 2.02 heads on it.

The guy I bought it from said he had the 360 heads milled 50 or 60 to boost compression a bit. He said he had the intake done to match.

That's all great, but he thinks due to the milling the pushrods rubbed... something, inside and bent them as the motor ran fine but had a slight noise on the top end.

ANYWAYS... he told me I need either adjustable pushrods or stock pushrods and adjustable rocker arms due to the head milling.

Anyone have input here? I don't want to go with 318 heads as the intake is milled to match and is a nice Edelbrock Performer.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Do you have the pushrods, heads and rocker arms in front of you for inspection? Take a look at the bottom of the rocker bodies, the pushrod tips, the retainers, and valve seals. If there was a screwed up geometry problem it should be revealed in those areas. Also if he used the stock pushrods after milling and the preload on the lifter bodies was too great it might have caused the stock pushrods to rub somewhere along the pushrod reliefs in the heads. I would check all those areas. All you might need is shorter pushrod to bring it back to a better operating spec or a little more clearance but I would take a look at the parts if you can. Inspecting them carefully before deciding to use them. A set of rocker arm shims for cheap are all you might need. Which is alot cheaper than a new set of 'weak' adjustable pusrods or new rockers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
six pak, cool link, but I want to use the 360 heads as they are rebuilt and I already have them.

airfueleddie, I haven't torn the motor down yet but will and snap pics of any problem areas I can find.

How does one go about ordering custom length pushrods?

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Sure Aaron7, pics would really help us out in seeing exactly what type of noise/damage he is talking about. If it makes a ticking type of noise it's NOT a good thing on a hydraulic camshaft engine like you have. It should be smooth and quiet!! OK, to measure for correct pushrod length you must have the cam lobe of that particular cylinder's Intake or Exhaust on the base circle of the camshaft, turn the engine over by hand on the number 1 cylinder when the Exhaust valve is starting to open the #1 Cylinder's Intake is on it's base circle. ready for adjustment or inspection. Take a close look the pushrod, it should be loose but NOT to loose! It should spin or twist easy be hand but not to the point it feels like it's ready to fall out. Of course with the engine dis-assembled this will be kinda difficult to ascertain because there isnt any preload on the hydraulic lifter body which could be dry and have no oil in it, or the spring inside the lifter body has been depressed enough to drain it of oil. If he stated and you trust him that .050-.060 was taken off the heads then only a .050-.060 shorter pushrod would be needed provided the SAME head gasket was used.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Custom length pushrods can be ordered from www.manciniracing.com and they are VERY helpful in determing your exact length. You might need an adjustable pushrod length checker with Ball to ball length ends for LA shaft rockers. Or you could take his word that the amount of milling was correct and order a new set minus that amount that was milled off and also detereming what type of gasket he used. A steel shim gasket is going to be much thinner than composition type of gasket. Which type did he use?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whatever he used is still in the motor. Neither he or I have taken it apart since it was built so that's a plus.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Also on older heads that have had a few valve jobs the valves will ride higher making the problem worse. (Head gaskets are visible at the edge of the block.)
I hope the intake valves were out when the heads were milled as they could also be milled.
In addition to this milling the heads will cause them to stick into the pistons if they aren't clearanced for 2.02 valves which weren't used on 318's (or 360's.)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The motor was run for a couple thousand miles as it sits so I'm sure the valves don't hit the pistons. It just had a little top end noise.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
I would do the #1 TDC and shine a flashlight down at the lifter to see how far it's pressed inpast the clip. Lifters I have measured in years past had about a 1/4" range to fully collapsed. If your close to this, try the rocker shims as suggested as there cheap and mancini has them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.