DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gear box in my 1500 ram was leaking bad and was screwed up after some rough wheelin. I found out that the 3500 gear box was a direct swap. It was also cheaper (because there is less demand) and more tough. Just thought I would let people know just in case they have the same problem down the road.

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
I just had a new box put in mine also. When the dealer looked up the box for me ($672 OUCH!) they told me it was the same box for all the trucks, both 2x4 and 4x4, 1500-3500. I thought that sounded odd, but they triple checked and stood by their statement. My truck has the Off Road Package and the box has a cooler attached to it, I still don't think every truck has a cooler on the steering box, but the dealer swears they all use the same box.

BTW, I ended up buying my box from the shop that did the work for me, they got a reman unit with 1 year warranty for $260. They ordered it by the VIN on my truck.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Muddog - how much was the new box out of the 1 ton? Have you noticed any difference in the steering feel? If / when my box goes I'm considering either a 1 ton swap, or a hydraulic assist. I'd like to hear how much that 1 ton box cost you and if you've noticed any benifits of using it. Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked out a website that sold steering boxes just now. The 3500 and 1500 boxes look identical. They did have different part numbers and were advertised separately. I would assume that if the boxes were the same they would have said --steering box for the 1500,2500 and 3500 dodge rams. I could be wrong, but like I said they had different part numbers. www.discountsteering.com

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey 01 offroad. I didnt see any big differences in the steering box swap. My last unit was so shot it was nice to have tight steering again. I don't recall the price.........it was also a reman unit, which was definitely cheaper than a new one. I've had it 2 years and have had no probs. You have a big rig with big a$$ tires.......also I'm not sure how rough you are on your ride.......so a hydraulic assist may be an option for you. I will look for the bill and try to get back with you on that info........I see you on here quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
The boxes for all gases from 1500-3500 are the same, but diesel boxes are different along with warrenties, atleast were I looked into it. The dealer wanted $800 for a rebuilt steering box, while I got one for $350 but the diesels are only 3 months warrenty for some reason.

·
Drives Hard
23 Posts
MUDDOG said:
I checked out a website that sold steering boxes just now. The 3500 and 1500 boxes look identical. They did have different part numbers and were advertised separately. I would assume that if the boxes were the same they would have said --steering box for the 1500,2500 and 3500 dodge rams. I could be wrong, but like I said they had different part numbers. www.discountsteering.com
I just checked for my 96 2500 8800 GVW, $190 w/exchange. The 1 ton is the same. But the lighter 3/4 and 1/2 ton show a different # than the bigger ones, but the same as each other.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm pretty sure the only difference in all the 4x4 models is that some are hydroboost and others are not. Other than that they should be the same. The best thing to do, which i am still waiting on, is to put on a dss stabilizer, especially if you are running larger than sstock tires. All of the load of turning the tires is put on the sector shaft bushing and causes premature failure, with the dss it is placed on the ball bearing. My personal fix for the box is o'reillys. 190 and lifetime warranty. ive already had 3 :D

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
Wow, seems like a lot of different answers to the same question.

I agree with thebignasty though, the Solid Steel brace is the way to go. I put one on my truck in the spring, unfortunately the damage was already done by then and my box had to be replaced last week. But I bet it will never go bad again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.