DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 340 in my truck, and once school is out we are gonna take it out and rebuild it.. my dad knows quite a bit about these as he's rebuild probably 20+ back in the day.. but uh, i dont have a damn clue, and lets just say he's not the best teacher..

so uh, what mods and basics should i know? I want to get the most horsepower that i can out of it.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I've never rebuilt an engine, but I think it would be fun if you rebuilt it to 340 Six Pack specs. and made it a Six Pack engine. Just like they used in the Challenger T/A and Cuda AAR.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Where you gonna find all those special castings whos nomberstarts off 3577xxx

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
the75powerwagon said:
I currently have a 340 in my truck, and once school is out we are gonna take it out and rebuild it.. my dad knows quite a bit about these as he's rebuild probably 20+ back in the day.. but uh, i dont have a damn clue, and lets just say he's not the best teacher..

so uh, what mods and basics should i know? I want to get the most horsepower that i can out of it.
First off what condition is the engine in now and what kind of money are you looking to spend? It can be as simple as rings and bearings, some head work, a good hydraulic cam, an Edelbrock Performer RPM, and a good ole Holley carb. Or you can do a complete new engine boring the block, new pistons,new or resized rods, grind the crank, a valve job, new guides, springs,valves etc. Or you can buy a stroker kit and a set of Aluminum heads and use just your existing block. The stroker kit with aluminum heads will give you the most torque which is what a 340 could use a little more of but at a much higher expense. Engines are great fun to build I just wish there wasn't so many expensive options. I would go with option 1 to gain some experience then work up from there.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I beleive it already has some goodies on it.. i know it has a holley carb.. but i dont really even know what most of the stuff is lol.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't really know much of what has been done, or what was done before.. but what are some of the major things?

We are taking it out in two weeks or so to paint the engine area black.. and detail the engine.. and paint it the original colors and rebuild it, im not sure exactly what the rebuilding entails.. plus we need to fix a leak.. (i got a huge 5 ft puddle under my truck of oil)

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
You may not need to do anything to the engine. Do a compression check....that will tell you a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.