DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I specifically got the 34-gallon fuel tank for extended range. I was told that if I first ran the fuel gauge to below E, and then ran the DTE (distance to empty) readout down as far as I dared, I could get an idea about how much fuel I could use. I did this, running the DTE down to 7 miles, but it only took 28.6 gallons to fill it up. I guess my question is what happened to the other 5 1/2 gallons? Are they usable? Are they in the truck at all? Are they just below the pickup line and cannot be reached? Or will I just run out of gas? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Since the other option is a 26 gallon, you must have the bigger tank if you put in almost 29 gallons.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
If you ever read the specs, There is a reserve in the tank. If you look at it in the owners manual it will explain it. There also could be a problem with the Tank fuel gauge sensor. I have a 34 gallon tank as well, i try not to let the tank go less then 1/4 tank. I never paid attention to how much I fill on empty, just know that it is pretty dam expensive. LOL
Matt S.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
My 03 took 100 litres of fuel when the low fuel light turned on, my 05 takes 115 litres when the light turns on. There is approx. 137 litres for the tank. All depends on the sensor

·
RPM
168 Posts
I checked this fairly carefully on my truck and have found that both the fuel gauge and the DTE numbers are very conservative.

I have driven the truck several miles while the DTE said ZERO and the fuel gauge was on the pin at "E." When I filled her up it took 31.3 gallons. Even with these low fuel readings, there was still 3.7 gallons in the tank.

As I said...very conservative.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Ram3500Dually said:
My 03 took 100 litres of fuel when the low fuel light turned on, my 05 takes 115 litres when the light turns on. There is approx. 137 litres for the tank. All depends on the sensor

So what's that in english? I don't understand your foreign language.

Damn Canadians, LOL

(for the record i'm just messing with ya)

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Hemi5spd said:
So what's that in english? I don't understand your foreign language.

Damn Canadians, LOL

(for the record i'm just messing with ya)
4.54 Litres per Imperial Gallon or 3.8 Litres per American Gallon :D :thatfunny

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is from the same on-board computer that tells people they are getting 20+ mpg with their Hemi 4x4!

I have the 34-gal tank and love it. Get used to how your gas gauge reacts to your driving habits ect. and trust that. Not the novelty computer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
34 gal. tank here as well, it's taken just over 30 gallons to fill it twice now. Fill ups are not for the faint of heart ($$$) but I wouldn't hesitate to have it on my next truck, love the extened range on the road and not having to make as many trips to the gas station.

·
Registered
850 Posts
It's all in the fill up. When you hold the nozzle open and then when the tank is "full" it clicks off. At that point, you can trickle the gas in very slowly and fit those 5+ galons. The tank has bafles inside to prevent sloshing of gas, in the tank. These bafles also slow down the fill up process. This is so you don't fill to the brim and give no air space in tank for expansion.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
RENTALWHITEHEMI said:
It's all in the fill up. When you hold the nozzle open and then when the tank is "full" it clicks off. At that point, you can trickle the gas in very slowly and fit those 5+ galons.

I have the smaller tank. And I have done your trickle trick with every other rig I've owned. The first time I tried it with my ram it overflowed all over the truck. Now I stop when it stops.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
K9Blitz said:
I have the 34-gal tank and love it.
Probably the only thing I would change if I had to order my truck all over again ... I would get the bigger tank. Oh well.

·
--> UNITY <--
2,417 Posts
There is a small reserve in the tank. It says it is for if you run out of fuel(or at least if the guage says you do) on the highway, you will be able to get to the next station. I always drive for a little when my DTE is 0. This last time in particular was the most I have one it. It was for a few days, and the needle was really touching E this time. When I filled up it still was only 24.921 Gallons.(just checked the receipt) That was the closest I have ever gotten it to empty. Probably won't go that low again, but you can - it's all about guesstimating :cool: BTW - I got 26 Gallon tank

·
New Vision
1,199 Posts
I have a 34 gallon tank and my gauge and DTE reading seem to be fairly accurate. And...when I fill it up...it's definitely 34 gallons....$$$$

·
BoJivin'
1,645 Posts
I have driven 50 miles after the DTE read zero. It is way conservative. and the fuel dinged at 1/8 tank or 4 gallons, but I drove well over 75 miles after it dinged and at 10-11 mpg, thats almost 7 gallons. so I think they are being very conservatie. Also when Ifilled up that time I put in alittle over 37 gallons. so I think that 34 gallon tank has a littl emore room then 34. I know I topped it off with as much gas as I could get, but I don't think the spout holds 3 gallons.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the 34 gallon tank.....
.....and in 16 years of vehicle ownership (both british and american cars) i have never had one yet that that had a gas gauge worth sh*t!!
I guess it's just that they are conservative!

·
Registered
628 Posts
The manufacturers reasoning is obvious. Some of us procrastinating humans delay filling our tanks until well below the 1/8 tank "idiot light". In fact, some folks keep riding around until the needle "hits" the empty line or even below it if possible. It's a "nerve thing" I guess...., how far can you go before you run out? If your truck would run out of gas as soon as it hit the empty line, there'd be a whole lotta pissed a**wipes stranded on the side of the road bad mouthing their RAMS..., as well as a whole lotta folks driv'in by in Chevy's & Ford's laughing at the "broken down RAM"! Bad rap all around! JMO.

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
if you had 7 DTE then you're no where NEAR the empty mark

I've actually seen white between the gauge and the needle and my DTE had been 0 for a good 30 miles :p

I fit 29 gallons in my 26 gallon tank then, my truck was starved

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.