DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
if all you have is a torsion/shackle lift, the 33s will rub.

·
Jason
3,866 Posts
Biker Daddy said:
Any one running this combo , does the extra inch make a difference for rubbing or not, Thanks Terry
I'll have this combo in about 3 months. I've already did the T/S lift, 3" body lift is next. Let me know if you get to it first. Might save me some trouble. lol!

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
yes you will rub. You can install 33x11.5 with minor bumper and wheel well trimming, but 12.5" wide will rub alot at full lock. The only way to run these tires is to either adjust the steering stops (bad - lose alot of turn radius) or use wheels with less backspacing (bad - increase wheel bearing load and still lose some turning radius). I would advise staying to 11.5" wide if offroading is a concern. Having a good turn radius is very helpful offroad, not to mention when parking at the grocery store.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
run 12.50's. i run that and it works great. can park at the grocery store and still run offroad no problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the whole 12.5 issue, I was curious if my R/T rims would increase it being 9 inchs wide versus stock .if the rim goes more inboard than the 7.5-8 inch rim .Thanks Terry

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am, I also have the T/S lift. I still had to trim the rear edge of the front bumper and the plastic wheel well liner behind the front tire, but not much. They fit and they look sweet!

·
Jason
3,866 Posts
01RTDon33s said:
I am, I also have the T/S lift. I still had to trim the rear edge of the front bumper and the plastic wheel well liner behind the front tire, but not much. They fit and they look sweet!

Fill out ur sig so we know whatcha got. No body lift? How bout some pics?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm also planning to run t/s on a 99 I'm buying this week and would love to run 33x12.5. I won't take this off-road at all (my CJ trail rig is for that). I'm ok with rubbing the frame at full lock and 2 mph when pulling in and out of parking spots... I just want to make sure 33x12.5 won't rip the fenders or flares apart with t/s and 100% on road driving.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sig finished. As for the pics I'll try to get them tomorrow. I don't have any frame rub even at full lock. Maybe it's due to the R/T rims. Maybe they have more offset that the regular wheels. Took it out wheelin this weekend and didn't have any rubbing problems then either. BTW I believe the measurement from the ground to the bottow of the fender in the center of the wheel well was 38". Maybe the R/T's sit higher to begin with too.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
I dont think the rt sits any higher since the suspension is identical to the SLT.

The RT may have less backspacing preventing rubbing on the frame. What are the size of your tires (please list the metric size)?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't know the size in Metric for sure, they actually say 33X12.50X17 on them. I think that would be about a 315 70 17 but I'm not sure. I'll get some pics later today with shots at full lock and what I had to trim.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
what brand of tire you running?

I gotta believe you do indeed have less backspacing than the 16" wheels. When you got your RT with the Stock tires, did they appear to stick out further compared to non-RT Durangos?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I run 33 12.5 on mine w/ after market 17s. I bought the D like that. I get some rubbing when I crank the wheel all the way left pulling in or backing out of a parking spot. Need to cut the plastic up another inch on the drivers side cause it doesnt do it on the passenger side.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't wait to see the pics , I just bought a body lift from a guy off the forum ,So this pushes my completion date back , Which I'll try to get done over the thanksgiving holiday , Let me know what the 33s do to your gas mileage and rpm , and thanks for chiming in .I'll figure out what gear ratio I have this weekend when I replace the gear oil and add my chrome rear end cover .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry I haven't got those pics yet, I swear I'm not bullshitten. With the time change I don't get home till well after dark and I leave before it gets light so I have yet to have an oppurtunity to take the pictures. I'll get to it on Sat for sure!

·
Registered
72 Posts
01RTDon33s said:
Sorry I haven't got those pics yet, I swear I'm not bullshitten. With the time change I don't get home till well after dark and I leave before it gets light so I have yet to have an oppurtunity to take the pictures. I'll get to it on Sat for sure!
i feel the same way man. i was supposed to take pics of my stripes, but every night when i get home its dark. i was gonna take some this morning before work, but its raining (thats Seattle for you). I'll take some over the weekend though and have them up by monday.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here are the first 5 pics. It seems the 33X12.50X17 is really closer to 32X11.50X17. I wonder if it's just these tires or most tires that like to exagerate about there size. The tires are made by Dean Tires and sold through Les Schwab. Anyway, I don't know what pictures are in which post but there are pics of the front/back clearance, clearance at full lock, and actual measurements of the tire and ride height with the T/S lift, and an overall pic of the D. I would be interested to see what other people's tires actually measure out at as opposed to what size is listed on their side wall.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.