DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88' w100 that will stall out at various times. Running while it is warmed up or just warming up it will stop running. You just never know when. I had it idling in the driveway for maybe 15 minutes then it stopped. No jerking it just stops as if the key was turned off. It will not start right away so I usually let it sit for up to 5 minutes and it will start like nothing happened.
Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Boy. This sounds like the symtoms of a failing pick-up coil, also known as cam position sensor. One is in the distributor the other mounted somewhere around the Bell housing. Not sure exactly where but does the same function.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I put in a new distributor as just replacing the insides cost only $40 less. Distributor was corroded and replacing it was easier than changing out the insides. Works great with no issues

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great. Thanks for the follow-up. Nice to hear that suggestions from contributors to this site, has enought value to the original poster, to respond with the solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a great post! I'm having the exact same issue with an '88 D250. Have a starting point to trouble shoot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you have not found the problem yet, the first thing to look at is the Hall effect sensor in the distributor, (the pick up coil in the earlier carbureted engines).

Simple to diagnose if you have a spare distributor. Get everything ready and let it run. When it quits, plug in your spare distributor (without installing) and give it a twirl, at the same time checking your coil for spark. Got spark.....change that Hall effect sensor.

Have had this problem with my Volares and my present ride a 1989 Dodge B150.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had this symptom on my 318 and after a bit of tinkering I found that the Coil was getting very hot, and after a particular temp it just simply quits working. No Spark at all. 15 min later started and works great for another 10-15 min.
Take some voltage readings before and during the failure and I can compare what mine were.
David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts