DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... I have a 1989 Dodge D150 with 318 TBI and all original except 2.25 dual exhaust without cat and Airtex 8094 external fuel pump. Truck is supposed to have around 70,000 miles but who knows lol... the interior is absolutely spotless, which is the reason I bought it. I have driven it for a year with no problems. I went to the gas station and filled up, started the truck and went to pull off and the truck started to sputter and then shut off.. I put new fuel filters on it and checked the cap and rotor and cleaned the terminals on the cap and rotor. I was able to limp the truck home and had to keep my foot in the gas the whole time or it wanted to stall... the ignition looked questionable so I checked everything and when I pulled the coil wire off, oil came out so I thought for sure the coil was getting hot and making the truck want to shut off... so I put new spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, accel ignition coil, coolant temperature sensor, and thermostat along with valve covers and valve cover gaskets. I started it up and truck ran for probably 3 minutes then shut off again... would crank but not start, but if you let it sit 30-45 minutes, it would run for another 3 minutes or so. I'm wondering if it has be the pickup in the distributor acting up... the local parts houses around here do not have any distributors or pickups in stock, do my only option is to buy online. Which is ok but a pain to return something if it's not the problem... I wanted to get some opinions before I went ahead with the purchase... if this did not fix the problem, I am going to convert to carburetor. I have a truck i can get the linkage off of for the throttle and kickdown, I'll put one of the HEI style distributors on it, edelbrock intake and a good carb. I'll keep the ECM and wires hooked up with the exception of throttle body and distributor. I might have to get a non computer controlled transmission as well... not 100 percent sure on that. Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
had a problem like that ...found out that the hose clamp in the fuel tank wore a hole in the fuel line in the tank...sucking air as the fuel moved around ....plus dryrot hose's...

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need air, spark n fuel.
Air cleaner check, re spark.. Sounds like you corrected the only apparent problem re a bad.....really bad coil.
You either have spark or you don't. I've never had it start then fail.
I would check the gas tank to body fuel "hose" condition, also from the frame up front to your mechanical fuel pump.
If the hoses are badly aged..could be soft and collapsing, that's an outside chance, but not often the case..
I would check carb ..the "inside the carb" brass filter. It sits inside the screw in threaded housing that screws into the carb body. It has the bib that you push on the fuel hose to and tighten with the hose clamp. That inside filter is too often overlooked. More likely it could be some sediment or fine debris interfering with the needle valve in the float bowl. OR the accelerator pump on your carb. With engine off, (keep face away from carb and wear eye protection) as you actuate the carb throttle linkage... to simulate pressing on the gas pedal. Listen for the two jets inside the venturi stacks to forcefully spray two hard streams of gasoline. You should be able to hear it. You should see some vapor rise up from the throttle bore of the carb. You can actually look down into the carb, and see thus two streams propel the gasoline.. Again remember eye protection.
Also remember you will likely be flooding the carb, with gas, so let the carb air before you attempt to restart the engine. It's possible to result in a flame from the carb. So again make sure that fuel as evaporated off.
Use your factory service manual or one available from a local parts store.
I have a FSM, a Haynes and a Chilton Service manual for servicing and safety procedures. I replaced my stock Holley 2bbl with a Holley 500 cfm, series 2300c 2bbl. I would rather install a factory reconditioned carb, or a new carb, vs rebuilding the original. If your not experienced installing a carb, find a good mechanic.
Safety first...

·
Registered
2 Posts
P.S. Whenever you look down the carb body, or deal with gasoline remember it's highly volatile...wear eye protection and keep your face well away from the carb throttle opening to avoid getting splashed by the gasoline.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts