Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Budding Mopar Enthusiast
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Man it's been a while since I've posted on here. Anyhow, I finally got some garage space, and found a guy down the street who sold me a 318 short block for $75, pretty good deal considering he delivered it to my house. I'm pretty sure it's a 68-69; we checked the bores and it has never been bored .030 over which is nice. There was a verrrry minor amount of surface rust on the crank, as it was sitting for about a year after he pulled it out of a running van.

I will be planning on doing a pretty comprehensive rebuild, taking it to the shop for cleaning, and to check/grind the crank and journals and check/machine the bores too. I plan on installing new pistons, cam, lifters, replacing head and rod bolts, and possibly doing some head refreshing.

What I was wondering, was if anyone had any experience with the rebuild kits available online from summit or jegs, and whether you guys have used the kits with pistons (federal mogul I think) or buy them without and source pistons separately.

If anyone has any advice for starting a mild performance build, let me know. Looking for any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

Oh and here are some pics:

Current Engine (Burning a qt of oil every 100 mi):

·
Registered
354 Posts
The summit kits are pretty good, and unless you are planning on building to create monster HP or torque the Fed. Mo pistons work fine. The pre 1973 318's have a weaker rod then the ones made after 1973 so you might want to look at replacing the rods if you have it in your budget. I would have the blocked punched .030-.040 over, put some really good main and rod bearings in it, maybe Sealed Power brand. Put in a good RV cam, not too big but much better torque then stock with decent idle and drivability, and call it good on the bottom end. For the top I would upgrade to 360 heads, they have much larger ports and valves in them and reuse your intake and carb.

Here is an article I read a while back, had to Google it, but I knew it was out there... https://itstillruns.com/build-300-horsepower-318-mopar-7696483.html

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sealed power rebuild kits from summit racing are real good in my experience. If the 318 is just gonna be for driving other than replacing rods the rest of it should be fine. Id look into acquiring some 360 heads and intake manifold. If you put 360 heads and intake on a 318 u now have a 318 that makes crazy tourque! More that stock. Hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.