DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
well, being that the 360 is a bigger engine it is most likely more powerful, considering both are stock. a manual transmission doesnt necessarily mean a faster truck. auto's can be faster than manual's, depending on the driver too.
 

·
Pudge
Joined
·
297 Posts
a 318 with 5 speed would blow the hell outta 360 auto off the line, there on the 360 would win in the long run. i raced a 318 5 speed and mine is a 318 4 speed auto, and he killed me off the line but when you get going faster i catch him and pass him because there is such a large power gap between 3 and 4th for the 5 speed, then he would catch up to me when he would throw it into 3rd gear then he would redline and he couldnt keep up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
i gotta see that to believe it. i don't think a manual with a smaller engine would make a truck quicker off the line than an auto with a 5.9. its all driver... and if the driver in the auto seat doesn't know how to mash that pedal and hang on, he should get out the damn truck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for all the reply's. The reason i was asking was because i have hurd mixed messages about the 360 auto compared to the 318 manual. Also does anyone know what each tops out at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,168 Posts
isaiah said:
i gotta see that to believe it. i don't think a manual with a smaller engine would make a truck quicker off the line than an auto with a 5.9. its all driver... and if the driver in the auto seat doesn't know how to mash that pedal and hang on, he should get out the damn truck
If by mash you mean floor it, I hope you don't mean off the line, becuase you wouldn't be going anywhere real fast if ya did that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
my vote goes to the 360 auto with 375 ft-lb of torque.

they're both governed at someting higher than i would ever take my truck on the streets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
I heard somewhere that most rams are max of 118. I have tried to see what my max is but I have been unable to pass 105 on the highway here without having a traffic problem. I got a 318 Manual. I would hafta say it definately depends on the driver BUT I would vote for the auto.
 

·
Pudge
Joined
·
297 Posts
umm well i have witnessed it, and for the record the 360 doesnt have that much more power than the 318 its like 20hp. and yes the 318 5 speed would kill the 360 auto off the line, 2 friends of mine raced and the 318 5 speed blew his shorts off until about 1/8 mile then the 360 slowly pulled away. And for the record also you dont get more power by having a 5 speed, you get more torque. i Have raced a few 360 autos with my 318 autos and they barely walk away from me
 

·
GROUNDED
Joined
·
2,944 Posts
pudge_slugfest said:
umm well i have witnessed it, and for the record the 360 doesnt have that much more power than the 318 its like 20hp. and yes the 318 5 speed would kill the 360 auto off the line, 2 friends of mine raced and the 318 5 speed blew his shorts off until about 1/8 mile then the 360 slowly pulled away. And for the record also you dont get more power by having a 5 speed, you get more torque. i Have raced a few 360 autos with my 318 autos and they barely walk away from me
360 all day long there is no super torque added from a manual trans lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
In a since your all right, but a manual transmission gets the power to the ground better than an auto does. Also for the 318 vs 360 my brother has a 360 2500 with 4.11 gears and I have a 318 1500 with 3.55 and I have always been able to walk all over him. and we have both had our trucks for more than 5 years
 

·
Pudge
Joined
·
297 Posts
yes somebody that acutally has seen it lol, you wouldnt think that the 5 speed would ad a whole lot but it does, but when i seen the 318 5 speed race the 360 he wipped him bad off the line but the 318 had to start in second gear because if he kept it in first he would just redline imediately and wouldnt go anywhere and plus he would just do a burnout, so when he started in second it worked the best, and also i think the 5 speed gives you about 25ft. more pounds of torque than an auto
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
MAGICDSSMAN said:
In a since your all right, but a manual transmission gets the power to the ground better than an auto does. Also for the 318 vs 360 my brother has a 360 2500 with 4.11 gears and I have a 318 1500 with 3.55 and I have always been able to walk all over him. and we have both had our trucks for more than 5 years

Its not really fair to compare a 2500 to a 1500. The 2500 is going to weigh a lot more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Basically a 5sp any thing will take off the line faster because yuo can controll where the rpms are when you put the power to the wheels, it could be a 4cyl and it could beet a v8 off the line (that would not last long and at least not with a DODGE whith the hammer down) LOL If you are goin to want all out power go 360 of you want quick rev then the 318, Im partial to the 360 auto my self...
 

·
GROUNDED
Joined
·
2,944 Posts
If i load up my torque converter and then launch my ram i can take most off the line. Its all driver thats why most drag racers run auto. 5 speed means nothign you get no advantage planting the power or anything. 360 with a good driver can take it all day long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
if it helps at all, my 318 auto out-dragged a newer 5.9L durango, as well as a pretty new mustang GT (only cuz he let up off the gas too soon), and keep in mind the Beast is still very stock under the hood, as well as these other machines. also, the Beast doesnt get any real 'go' untill it shifts into second, straight in its powerband.. ive managed to get my speedo to say 105..
 

·
Pudge
Joined
·
297 Posts
Yes i agree with big joe, alot of drag racers go auto because you have an all out better run time, with the manual tranny you might get a good jump off the line if you know how to drive but with auto you have better all round power, not just wicked torque off the line, basically a 5 speed is good for screwing around and 4x4ing that way you dont have to use 4low in deep mud.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top