DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build a 318 magnum, want it to cost $2500 or less including a new engine from the junkyard.

·
Red Trucker
2,399 Posts
looking for a street/strip build that I can blow doors off other people with
With a 318....in a full size 2nd gen Ram....for less than $2500......? What doors were you looking to blow off? V6 Rams and Dakotas lol? It's gonna cost more than your budget just to properly build the short block. You'd have to either stroke it to get the power levels you're looking for, then cam, heads & intake to take advantage of that increased displacement or put a blower to it. The short block build becomes especially important when considering adding boost. It will require a custom tune it if you want to to run right with the rest of the truck. Then you have to hope your 46RE (the trans) holds up (probably won't long term) to the extra abuse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With a 318....in a full size 2nd gen Ram....for less than $2500......? What doors were you looking to blow off? V6 Rams and Dakotas lol? It's gonna cost more than your budget just to properly build the short block. You'd have to either stroke it to get the power levels you're looking for, then cam, heads & intake to take advantage of that increased displacement or put a blower to it. The short block build becomes especially important when considering adding boost. It will require a custom tune it if you want to to run right with the rest of the truck. Then you have to hope your 46RE (the trans) holds up (probably won't long term) to the extra abuse.
I’m only looking for 300-350hp right now, seen tons of guys do it for 3k ish. junkyard block costs 150ish, heads around 1k-1.5k, cam, then headers and throttle body. Just looking for specific parts

·
Red Trucker
2,399 Posts
THIS:
I’m only looking for 300-350hp right now, seen tons of guys do it for 3k ish. junkyard block costs 150ish, heads around 1k-1.5k, cam, then headers and throttle body. Just looking for specific parts
Is significantly different than THIS lol:
looking for a street/strip build that I can blow doors off other people with
300-350hp in a full size truck isn't going to be blowing ANYONE's doors off. Your last statement makes more sense. Yes you can do that easily. Your estimate for performance heads in spot on, including iron perf heads and Edlebrock aluminum heads. Cam will cost you about $400ish or more depending on specs. That knocks off half or more of your budget; headers are cheap as are Magnum TB's, which will put you down about another $500. This leaves out the most important questions, were you planning to do a proper build on the junker block and who is doing all this work? Also leaves out the requisite custom tuning (what year is this truck)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THIS:

Is significantly different than THIS lol:

300-350hp in a full size truck isn't going to be blowing ANYONE's doors off. Your last statement makes more sense. Yes you can do that easily. Your estimate for performance heads in spot on, including iron perf heads and Edlebrock aluminum heads. Cam will cost you about $400ish or more depending on specs. That knocks off half or more of your budget; headers are cheap as are Magnum TB's, which will put you down about another $500. This leaves out the most important questions, were you planning to do a proper build on the junker block and who is doing all this work? Also leaves out the requisite custom tuning (what year is this truck)?
Only doors I plan on blowing off are the stock trucks at my school lol, I’m building it, been building engines with 500hp+ since i was 12, and it’s a 1996 ram 1500

·
Red Trucker
2,399 Posts
Only doors I plan on blowing off are the stock trucks at my school lol, I’m building it, been building engines with 500hp+ since i was 12, and it’s a 1996 ram 1500
If you've been building 500+hp engines since you were 12 (you misspelled assisting with building them, as being a mechanic for the better part of 30yrs myself I seriously doubt a 12yr old was doing this all on his lonesome; no offense lol) then why are you doing such a mild build? Get a 360 and get rolling on a 408 stroker lol. Were any of these 500+hp you helped with fuel injected engines that needed to integrate into the rolling computer network that is a modern vehicle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you've been building 500+hp engines since you were 12 (you misspelled assisting with building them, as being a mechanic for the better part of 30yrs myself I seriously doubt a 12yr old was doing this all on his lonesome; no offense lol) then why are you doing such a mild build? Get a 360 and get rolling on a 408 stroker lol. Were any of these 500+hp you helped with fuel injected engines that needed to integrate into the rolling computer network that is a modern vehicle?
I don’t want to look for a new computer for a 360 just for my truck since it came with a 318, that’s extra money I don’t have. And no they were all carbureted, all of them were in 70s and 80s muscle cars, and the engines I built by myself that put out that power were all bolt on parts, Ive never tried machining, might do that after I get a full time job after getting my ASE.

·
Red Trucker
2,399 Posts
I don’t want to look for a new computer for a 360 just for my truck
You're mistaking "custom tune" with "swapping PCM". A custom tune doesn't care what engine it's running as long as the programmed parameters match the hardware (for example very easy to run a 6.1 hemi on a 5.7 PCM). For the build you're talking about, you don't need to spend that kind of money on heads. The Magnum heads are in the the top 5 best ever small block Mopar head ever made (that's in company with the 340 X head, W2-W8 race heads, etc). They will easily flow what you need. Make sure you your short block is good, that's where you really need to spend the $$. Good short block, refreshed Magnum heads and then you have a choice to make, stick with your stock beer barrel intake or step up. Hughes has a setup that uses an Edelbrock manifold that is made specifically for them that bolts right on the engine and hooks up just like the stock one, EFI and all but really opens up the breathing ability:

Then just choose a cam to match and get your combo custom tuned. Luckily, you're right at the beginning of the year range that CAN be custom tuned. Shift kit wouldn't be a bad idea, but be prepared for the eventuality that your 46RE is going to give up on you with the extra 70-100hp that isn't used to lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're mistaking "custom tune" with "swapping PCM". A custom tune doesn't care what engine it's running as long as the programmed parameters match the hardware (for example very easy to run a 6.1 hemi on a 5.7 PCM). For the build you're talking about, you don't need to spend that kind of money on heads. The Magnum heads are in the the top 5 best ever small block Mopar head ever made (that's in company with the 340 X head, W2-W8 race heads, etc). They will easily flow what you need. Make sure you your short block is good, that's where you really need to spend the $$. Good short block, refreshed Magnum heads and then you have a choice to make, stick with your stock beer barrel intake or step up. Hughes has a setup that uses an Edelbrock manifold that is made specifically for them that bolts right on the engine and hooks up just like the stock one, EFI and all but really opens up the breathing ability:
View attachment 629408

Then just choose a cam to match and get your combo custom tuned. Luckily, you're right at the beginning of the year range that CAN be custom tuned. Shift kit wouldn't be a bad idea, but be prepared for the eventuality that your 46RE is going to give up on you with the extra 70-100hp that isn't used to lol.
Luckily, I bought the truck with the transmission needing attention so I just had it rebuilt so it should last me a while with the extra power. But I do plan on getting a shift kit and a few custom tunes.

·
Red Trucker
2,399 Posts
There ya go then. Hughes will pretty much be one stop shopping for you, just remember to think of the vehicle as a whole and then build the combo; isn't about the engine alone. Match your cam to your gears, etc etc. Ask the vendors for advice like with cam selection, they will help you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts