DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been hearing a lot of different opinions about this issue. Is it necessary to crank the tortion bars on a 03 1500 with off road package in order to fit the 315's on there. If so will the tires only rub at full turn? Do i need an alignment after I crank the tortion bars?? Thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
Does the off road package give you more clearance in the front? I'm pretty sure it does not.

I would say Yes, you would have to crank bars in order to fit 315's. I know that the highest you can go without cranking bars is 305's which is what I am running.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it hurt to put the tires on and then wait a week and crank the bars and get an alignment. I just don't want to damage the truck. It should only rub on full turn right??

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
I have the offroad package. There aren't any suspension differences except for shocks absorbers. For the 315s you will need to crank the TBars quite a bit to clear them. Probably 2+ inches.

Yes, you will need an alignment after you crank them. It will throw off the caster and toe in of your fronts.

So far as rubbing goes, members that have them report that they do not rub, however, in a full articulated situation at full lock I suspect there to be some rub. For most driving conditions you should be alright. You will also need to have you speedometer recalibrated after the larger tires are installed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your help, but still can i put them on and then crank the bars a week later. Will the tires rub the fenders if I do not crank the tortion bars or will the tires just rub on full lock

·
5,101 Posts
Yeah, you can put them on and not crank them initially. They will fit, but will rub at full lock.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, I am gonna get them put on tonight then. I was nervous that after they put them on I wasn't gonna be able to drive the truck home.

·
5,101 Posts
Yeah, just don't turn too sharp.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how many turns do you recommend going on the bolts to get it to the right height
i got my truck last year used, the front doesn't look much lower than the rear, I wonder if they were already raised.

·
5,101 Posts
Its possible that there were raised. You are probably looking around 7-9 turns from a stock position to make it completely level. I actually didn't count my turns. I determined I wanted to lift the front 1.5". So I cranked each side a little and used a tape measure, measured from the ground to the top center of the fender on the body. Make sure all tires are equal air pressure and you are on a flat surface. You will need an 18mm deep well socket and something preferably 2-3 feet long for cranking. If you front is higher than 37" then it has been cranked. Right now my front sits at 39.5" I believe. So I mine is about 1" higher in the rear, which is what I wanted.

On yours I would start with about a 1.5" crank from the stock 37" position and experiment some to see what the minimum cranking height is to successfully clear the 315s.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just measured it, it is sitting at 36 5/8. I am gonna have to raise it, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 03 4x4 that came with the 315x70Rx17 already on it. It rubs if I am at full turn lock but only a small amount. I cranked it up 7 turns and measured to see where it was sitting at. It measured 40" even on the drivers side and 39 7/8" on the Passenger side. twealed the passenger side to make it level and it still rubs at full turning lock. Will work for me now as I hope to soon be putting a 6" lift under it.

Tatakai

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.