DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I thought I was imagining it at first. but there's a noticeable pulsation as of this mornings drive to work.

30k seems a bit premature to me, especially the way I drive it. I haven't towed anything, and I take it easy most of the time. What do you guys reccomend?

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
If you're still under warranty - make those b!tches fix it, that way you can get another 30K out of them and put something actually worthwhile on.

If you're not under warranty - go with a set of at least slotted rotors (you'll notice a huge improvement over stock), with a set of Hawk pads. There's a thread in this section of the forum called something like "Drilled/slotted rotors" - read through it and you'll get some pretty good info.

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've just got the factory warranty, still under the 36/36 bumper to bumper, but someone told me that brakes weren't covered. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
loanshark said:
I've just got the factory warranty, still under the 36/36 bumper to bumper, but someone told me that brakes weren't covered. Anyone know if this is true?
Yeah, I believe usually wearable parts such as brake pads, tires, windshield wipers are not covered....but rotors I believe are....worth checking into, if not then replace with a better set of aftermarket ones.

Mine lasted 40K til they warped...but also the pads were causing quite a bit of brake fade as well. I've since put 60K on a set of cross-drilled rotors and aftermarket pads with a MUCH improved stopping distances.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the first signs of rotor warpage at 36k, when I called the dealer they said rotors are covered under a 12/12k wearable item warranty so your on your own...

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
Yea, that's sorta what I figured. Read the drilled/slotted rotor thread, it's not very far down under the Tire/Wheel/Susp thread. I got a set of drilled/slotted rotors and hawk pads for right around $180.

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't seem to find a deal anywhere close to that for my 2003. I called Advance auto parts yesterday and for drilled & slotted rotors they quoted me $235.64 each :hair: for the front.

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
That's why I said to check the thread, I ordered mine out of a brake shop in FL. JCWhitney sells the same ones I ordered for $77 a piece, they're like $30 a piece cheaper from the place in FL (contact info for them is in the drilled/slotted rotor thread). There are also some other suggestions I've seen, alot of people like the PowerSlot and PowerStop rotors, they were just a little more than I wanted to spend.

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Stretch, I called the place in FL and the guy I talked to said that they only sell wholesale. Don't want to get anyone in trouble or anything, but did you have to get someone to play middleman for you or were you able to buy them yourself?

I did learn that my 2003 rotors are unique. Different from 2002 and 2004 :(

I'm sure that's not going to help the price any.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I called Erwin at brakes express & he said that there not available for 03's. BUMMER. I need a set of rotors & pads. Our 03's have the wheel bearings in the rotors. Thats the diff.

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well fortunately my warpage is only minor right now. Let me know what you end up doing Todd.

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
Ouch, I didn't realize they were different for 03s. Don't the 03's come with front and rear disc brakes?

loanshark: I didn't realize the only sold wholesale. In my case, I was being screwed by JC Whitney, so I called the manufacturer (Roto-Tech) to see if I could just get them to ship me out the rotor I was missing (figured it was worth a shot). They put me in touch with the guys in FL. I called them and explained my situation and had a set shipped to me the next day.

I could give you the guy's name at Roto-Tech I talked to so you could make up a story for the guys at Brakes Express (although I'd hate to abuse them, they were very nice to me), but it looks like you're not going to be able to get anything for your 03 anyway. Sorry about that.

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't sweat it Stretch, you were just trying to help.

By the way I did stop by my local DC dealer just to see what they would say. I got the 12/12 coverage response. I told them I was a little disapointed that I had a warped rotor @ less than 30k and they responded, the Durango is a heavy vehicle! Maybe if I had towed with it they would have warped in the first 12k miles!!

Gee thanks genius. I wonder if DC knew what the thing was gonna be when they slapped those brakes on? :huh:

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
Yea, it's generally accepted around here that the stock brake system's on our Durango's are garbage.

Technically, they are correct, the Durango is a pretty heavy vehicle... which in most engineering terms would mean that we would need a fairly durable brake system to stop safely. I got "lucky" and my rotors actually lasted close to 45K.

If you need anybody's name at Roto-Tech (just to see if they have any plans for an '03 model rotor or anything) I can put you in touch with somebody - they seem to be really nice people. I sent them a question in an email and they called me within 10 minutes. Pretty impressive customer service.

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to check with them to see if they're planning on producing them. I don't feel like dropping $235 a piece that's for sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
SUBJECT:
Brake Shudder or Vibration
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing brake pads, resurfacing the rotors and check rotor runout.
MODELS:
2003 (DN) Durango
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle may exhibit pulsation or vibration in the brake pedal and/or steering
wheel when the brakes are applied. The condition is most noticeable at speed
over 50 MPH but can occur at lower speeds.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customers indicate that the condition is present, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 05093796AB Brake Pads
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
ProCut Hunter
One of the Following
DaimlerChrysler
Approved On Car Disc
Rotor Lathes:
PC-610, PC-CHRYSLER,
PC-TRUCK, PC-CROSTRUCK,
PC-PFMTRUCK,
PC-PFMCHRYSLER, PC-PFM900,
PC-PFMCHRYSLER-95,
PC-PFMTRUCK-95, PC-PFM900-95,
PC-PFM90.2, PC-PFM90.4,
PC-PFM90
- H-OCL360,
H-OCL360-LT-PRO,
H-OCL360-LT-PSE,
H-OCL360A,
H-OCL360A-LT-PRO,
H-OCL360A-LT-PSE,
H-OCL360S,
H-OCL360S-LT-PRO,
H-OCL360S-LT-PSE
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Inspect the front brakes for any signs of abnormal wear or damage. Repair as necessary.
2. Resurface the front brake rotors with a DaimlerChrylsler approved on-car brake
lathe. If an on-car lathe is not available at the dealership, the rotor resurfacing
must be sublet to a facility with an approved on car lathe.
05-007-03 -2-
3. Remove the calipers.
4. Replace the front linings with 05093796AB.
5. Mark one wheel stud on each side with a dab of paint or suitable marker.
NOTE: Wheel stud torque is critical to the success of the repair. the
following procedure is intended to identify excessive rotor distortion which
could be caused by improper wheel stud torque.
6. Install the wheel and pre-tighten the lug nuts in a cross pattern to: 70 Nm (50 ft.
lbs.) then final the lug nuts in a cross pattern to: 135 Nm (100 ft. lbs.) and mark
the wheel at the same location as the marked wheel stud.
7. Set up a dial indicator to measure mounted rotor runout . Place the dial indicator
plunger against the inner machined rotor face, visible between the brake caliper and
the front splash shield. Rotate the wheel and tire assembly two turns and take runout
measurement. If the measurement is less than .050 mm (.002 in.) no further action
is required. If the measurement is greater than .050 mm (.002 in.) remove the lug
nuts and relocate the wheel one stud clockwise, tighten the lug nuts as described in
step 8 and check the runout again. Do not remove any brake parts. Repeat step
9 for each wheel location until you achieve the lowest mounted runout. Minimum
mounted rotor runout will be achieved by moving the wheel, not the rotor.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation
No:
Description Amount
05-21-11-90 Replace Brake Pads, Resurface Rotors
and Check Rotor Run Out
1.8 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
2X Vibration or Chatter

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SERVICEMANAGER1 said:
If it's still in 3/36 warranty have them perform tsb 05-007-03
You don't think they'll tell me the brakes are only covered for 12/12 and send me packin' ?

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
If there's a TSB out you're good up to the 3/36.

By the way, SERVICEMANAGER1, I'm curious how this works. He already went in and complained about the brakes. They told him it was only covered under the 12/12. Why didn't they mention the TSB? Obviously they wouldn't know about every single TSB ever issued, but shouldn't they at least give it a quick lookup in the computer? Or is that not how it works?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.