DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I picked her up after the 30,000 mile service today, all $526.00 worth. I am just wondering if the services are actually worth the money they cost. I dont feel I "beat" the truck. It calls for changing the set of plugs (16 of them) on the Hemi... I thought they were making the plugs last to 100,000 and more. Flush tranney, transfer case, and differentials...and on and on...

Just griping I guess but the plugs really do bother me, why change so often??

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
not sure but on the diffs and transmission, it's because Dodge's fluids cost 18 damned dollars a quart

I lucked out and my local transmission shop got it for 11$ a quart (laff) and I only had to pay 300$ for a drivetrain service instead of 526

(I didn't do plugs though, mine are fine)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Actually guys DC uses standard Champion copper core plugs in the HEMI and that is why they say replace them at 30K. That is the MAX life expectancy of premium copper core plugs and Champions are bottom of the line. Frankly 20K is pushing it for Champions. They suck. For 100K plugs you would need Platinum or Iridium plugs.

$526 is a lot for the 30K service. But if you used all dealer parts and fluids it is probably about right. I never use dealer parts and such because they bone you so bad. Not only that but the aftermarket items I buy( Royal Purple fluids, K&N Filters, etc... )are better quality than the MOPAR stuff and less $$$( as a rule ).

Example = I am due pretty quick for the 15K service which is basically the differentials. Dealer cost is $129.99 for 4X4. I bought the fluids( Royal Purple )for $64. Labor for the dealer to do the work( I do prefer them doing all labor even though that is also expensive so no warranty question ever arises )is just $40. So, I am getting the 4X4 diff service done for just $102 total. That saves me $27.99 and I get better quality fluid used.

As someone who has worked in a dealership( Parts & Service )I know first hand just how bad they pork folks with the mark up on parts. Not from me!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That is the MAX life expectancy of premium copper core plugs and Champions are bottom of the line. Frankly 20K is pushing it for Champions. They suck.
Whenever I tell mechanics or engine builders that I don't like champion plugs, most say that champions are good plugs that provide a quality spark, but they wear out quicker than most standard plugs, that's why many people say that they are garbage.

So then I answer back by saying well how did other companies find a way to make a plug that has a good spark AND last long? Then the ones that like champions say that the champions have a better quality spark than most others.

I don't know if they're right but that's the senerio most of the time when I say to professionals that I think champions are low quality plugs. I took the originals out of my truck at 26,000 miles. The gaps on the plugs ranged from .046 to over .052. Two plugs were showing a gap of .054. If they were gapped correctly at the factory at .045, I think that's a big difference in wear. So I will stick to my original opinion & agree with NHHEMI & say that I think champions are a lower quality plug.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
When I worked aftermarket auto parts unless a customer absolutely, specifically, requested Champions I wouldn't sell them except as a last resort. Not only do Champions wear quicker but they foul easier than ANY plug I have ever seen. They do not recover from getting gas soaked very well either.

Many HEMI owners who have installed CAI kits have found that the initial rich condition caused by the computer when it senses all the cold air, and before it adjusts to the new air flow, fouls the plugs to the point they need replacing. Most plugs will take some rich conditions to some extent but not Champions. Get them the least bit wet and they won't recover.

If they provide such a good spark they should be able to handle a little extra gas but they can't. Champions are the absolute WORST plug out there. One of the mechanics at the dealer I use, a young pup still wet behind the ears, gave me the same speech about them when I mentioned I was going to change my plugs out long before the 30K. I just politely stopped him and told him I had been a MOPAR guy all my life, and a parts guy for years and years, so save it. Not buying it. When he began shaving regularly he could lecture me on plugs ;)

Champion = CRAP! Shame on DC for using them in the HEMI when they already use NGK in a lot of their other vehicles.

·
My coinholder adds 15 HP!
1,441 Posts
If I bring in all my own fluids and plugs will the dealer still do the service? Would that cause warranty issues down the road?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
NHHEMI said:
...$526 is a lot for the 30K service...
LOL ... when I took my 2g Ram to my local 5-star a few years ago for its 30k service they wanted $900+!! After I stopped laughing, I had them print out everything they did and then crossed off all the stupid stuff and then did the remaining things seperately over a couple paychecks.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
lucky8926 said:
If I bring in all my own fluids and plugs will the dealer still do the service? Would that cause warranty issues down the road?
The dealer should do the service but it is possible I suppose that they wouldn't want to use parts other than MOPAR? Never heard of a dealer refusing but it is possible.

As to warranty it absolutely will NOT void your warranty using non OEM parts. However, those parts( ie; filters, plugs, fluids, etc... )have to meet or exceed OEM spec's. In other words the tranny fluid is ATF +4. You can't use ATF +3 or regular old Dexxron and preserve your warranty. You have to use a certified ATF +4 fluid. Right now only MOPAR has it but if and when some aftermarket company offers a "certified" ATF +4 you can use that and not void your warranty.

As long as the aftermarket items you want to use meet or exceed the OEM stuff you are fine. You also have to do the services according to the schedule in your manual.

·
My coinholder adds 15 HP!
1,441 Posts
Thanks for the info!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not sure where you live at, but I had my oil changed today and asked about the 30K checkup. I am at 23675 roughly at the moment and he told me that totalfor it all was $390. He also told me that they would also do things that most dealers don't do. I am not sure if he was giving me a big break on it because we have known each other for a few years or not.
But to me that was expensive but what was stated here at $526 I would be wanting to watch and inspect all work done as it is done to make sure that it wasn't just stuck on the ticket.

Tatakai

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
$390 doesn't sound too bad actually. As you have a 4X4 the 30K service is for the front and rear axles, transfer case, and tranny( the major things ). Here it would run me $300 for those 3 things using dealer labor and parts( much less for me as I will buy my own parts and save ).

Now, I have the HEMI so at 30K I also have to do the plugs and THAT really is going to boost the cost. Going to add $200 easy to the price above. Flat rate is 2-2.5 hours so that is $150 and then the cost of 16 plugs.

If you have the HEMI $390 is a steal for the 30K service. The $526 figure from above with the HEMI is about rght on due to the cost of the plug change.

EDIT - just went and looked and see you have the 4.7L. Not sure if you have to do plugs at 30K or not? Sold my 03 Ram w/ 4.7L before I got past 20K so I never needed to know. If it includes a plug change for that $390 then it is still a good deal. If it is just the 3 fluid changes then it is a bit high.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It includes plugs being changed and also coolant fluids and brake and power steering topped off I take it also. So that might be a good deal after all then for the 4.7L.
Guess I lucked out for once and it isn't going to cost me a fortune this time.
Also said that the axles would be done and the diffs.

Tatakai

·
Registered
277 Posts
Took mine to my local car shop at 30,000 miles, told him to check everything and chage what needed to be changed, went back to get it, he told me that everything looked good that he checked for the 30,000 mile maint. charged me $51. i have been going to him for years.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I changed my diff fluids on my 2500 at 14k myself {the fluid still looked new} I used castrol synthetic fluid $7.50 a quart.3 qrts for the rear 2 for the front. The diff covers use a rubber gasket so theres no silicone mess.Piece of cake. Also had the covers chrome plated while off. I dont know if I will change fluid at the next 15k or not. I think every 15k is very excessive , especially considering the fluid is synthetic. I asked my dealer and they say unless you do a LOT of HEAVY towing or contaminate the axles with water dont even mess with changing the fluid. I have a buddy with a ram 1500 2004 hemi with 120k miles and he has never changed diff fluids or spark plugs , the truck still performs like new.Anyway if you have a 2500 and want to change your fluid yourself its easy. I think on the 1500s you do have to use a bead of sealer on the covers. Not hard ,but messy and a hassele cleaning up the old sealer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
16 plugs? Thats the first I heard of that! So there is 2 plugs per cylinder on my 5.9 hemi? Whats up with that?

·
Registered
81 Posts
just had wifes durango in for a 30k and it cost 600 something to get it all done...but hey once every 30k isnt bad though...

and ur 5.9 is not a hemi. it only has 8 plugs

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My 30k service was around $650, but I had all the normal 30k stuff along with a tranny flush and a cooling system flush. Yeah it is expensive, but 650 every 2 years is fairly cheap insurance IMM.

·
Lifted HEMI 4x4
5,519 Posts
30K service....i thought it was at 36K

i went in for my 15K and the dude said i'm not due until 18K....we looked it up and sure enough he was right

my old 02 had 15 and 30K service

they pushed back on the 04s to 18 and 36K

either way, i'm about 7000 miles from my 36K service and not looking forward to the mad cash for it......especially since i'm making a roughly 3000 mile road trip this xmas :help:

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Was talking to the techs down to my dealer and they said if you are going to change the plugs, just change the 8 on the coilpack and rotate the other 8 to different cylinders. They said the 8 that fire on the exhaust stroke are basically useless and do not need to be changed, just rotated. This is their opinion, and subject to flames. I will change my plugs at 60k and rotate the others. They have seen to many people change their plugs at 30k and look great and the price of the plugs are not cheap.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.