DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MOPAR or no no car
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I finaly got a V8 throtle body for my '98 V6 Dakota. I installed a new TPS and Throttle Valve Sensor.We didn't touch anything else at all. Now, when my automatic shifts from 1st to 2nd and then 3rd it's like it's "hurrying" thru the gears. When it's in 3rd and OD it's just fine, and has outstanding performance. But in the first 2 gears it just jumps thru them. I have adjusted the throttle valve cable and no luck. And there is no check engine light. The throttle body came off of a 2000 V8 and there was no shifting problem at all on the way over to my buddies where we did the swap. Any help would be great.

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
What size did the tb come off of? There was only the 5.9 being made in 2000 for the Dak/Dur so you may have too large of a bore. The 5.2 is the one you want. Also, you need a new cable when doing the swap and the v6 won't work. You may also have to adjust your tv cable for the shifting to be right.

Andrew

·
MOPAR or no no car
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know it came off the 5.9. I did get a cable and have adjusted the throttle valve cable, but no luck. I to think it's to big of a throttle body. I'm gonna keep trying things. May have to swap it back. :( Thanks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
318s and the 360s use the same throttlebody,if the one you got was an aftermaket one that the v8 owner had installed its possible its too big but otherwise there is no difference in a "stock " 318 and "stock " 360 TB.

·
MOPAR or no no car
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking that too. It is a stock TB. This Dak is just so damn finicky. I'm gonna keep trying. The garage said they would check it out for me too. One thing. I have a Airraid spacer on it. Could that make a difference? And I will say, I have noticed that that engine get's up and runs so much better now and I have'nt even installed the headers or fuel injectors. I'll keep ya guy's posted. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
throttle body spacers are useless on our engines. they dont do anything other than add noise. when i swapped my throttle bodies i didnt put the cable back on correctly, but i fixed it on the side of the road and everything is fine. my truck also downshifts suddenly for no reason sometimes but i was told i need a new throttle valve cable mine is really stretched.

·
MOPAR or no no car
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll look into that. Any chance it might be to big a throttle body? As far as I know, they put the same ones on the 5.2 and 5.9, even though people keep saying their different. I'll look into that to. Thanks guy's.

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
I think the 5.2 is a 50mm and the 5.9 is a 52mm. Dan "The Fastman" has them listed as that size also.

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.