DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me give you the history, I was sitting at a traffic light and the truck went dead. No prequel, it was as if someone turned the key off. It had (for about 10,000) miles been losing power though I figured it was about time for that. It's got 200,000 miles on it. It has been gone through a few years ago, but I'm not sure to what extent. It's a 1993 3.9L dakota. Now for the good stuff, as soon as it quit I tried to restart it and it spun over extremely fast as if it had no compression. The first thing I think is the timing chain so I towed it home and tore into it. Sure enough the chain had eaten the cam gear (well half of it) and it was lacking teeth on one side. I actually pulled the chain off without removing anything. Sounded like a simple fix. I got a new chain and put it on then I looked online to see how the marks on the gears went and found them to both be at 12 o'clock. I put it back together and it sounded the same, like a loss of compression. I talked to a friend of mine who has "mitchell on demand" and saw that the gears actually point towards one another, making mine 180 out. I tore it all down again and turned the cam 180 degrees and reinstalled the cam gear. This seemed like the most logical answer. The trouble is that it's still the same. It spins over quickly and won't start. I checked for spark and found that it has spark on #1 and I put a timing light on it while it was starting up and every time it hit the crank was at TDC. I disconnected the battery and left it overnight to reset the PCM and nothing changed there either. It will spin freely and then a backfire out the carb once or twice. The rocker arms are all rocking back and forth. I can't seem to figure this one out, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Billy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I figured it out today, I pulled the #1 spark plug to check for compresson and found none. I pulled the # 5 rockers and checked for pushrod straightness and they were good to go. I then was stumped again and didn't really want to tear it down again. I decided to go to the #1 and start there. I pulled the rockers and when I did they poured water out of them as I raised them. I knew before I saw the severly bent up pushrods that they were going to be that way. Apparently one/both head gaskets leaked water into the cyl. and hydralocked. Looks like I've got my weekend planed out for me. Just thought I'd update for future reference or in case anyone was watching this one. Thanks,
Billy
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top