Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I've inherited a '99 Ext. Cab 2WD with the 3.9 V6 in it. It's got 103,000 miles, all the records and runs just fine.

I've been searching the boards for advice on upgrades and I'm going to combine them here in hopes that I can get a sanity check with some folks more experienced than myself.

Luckily there at least a few options. I'm not looking for a hot rod, just some basic upgrades.

Intake:

A freer-breathing air-filter setup is an obvious choice.

Has anyone had experience with just upgrading to a good quality airfiler with the stock intake vs. a CAI vs. something like the round filter setup I noticed for the 5.9's?

Exhaust:

I noticed that Gibson headers are available for the 3.9. Does anyone have any experience with headers on the 3.9? Or is the norm just going for a high-flow cat and a cat-back exhaust? Anyone dualed out one of these trucks?

Ignition:

This is one area I've seen no mention of other than with regard to getting a tune-up. Any after-market ignition/coil setups recommended? Wires? Speaking from my past experience, I noticed a large improvement in mpg on my long, long time ago ford ranger.

Computer:

I noticed a few comments that said that the chips helped out even on stock vehicles. This would seem a natural pairing with these other mods.

Other:

T-Stat - what does the lower temp t-stat do for you?

Any tips or comments would appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Ext. cab?

The 6 cylinders were only put in regular cab trucks from the factory. Unless someone put that 3.9 in there.

It must have a V8 in it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's got the same magnum v6 badges that I see on so many of the daks around here. it's also not the 4dr, but has the little bench behind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to Edmunds...

Club Cab and 4WD models get a 3.9-liter V6 good for 175 horsepower and 225 foot-pounds of torque.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
I have a 3.9 in my van, and thinking about the same kinda things for a while

one of the guys just recently went with a round open air intake
ck out

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128055

I personally dont think you need headers until you do some major engine work = save that header money for something else

buy a fastman modified throttle body for sure IMHO

get a free flowing exhaust = I recommend Magnaflow

Let us know what you finally decide to do

·
Registered
386 Posts
Finally Someone Else In The World With A V6 Ram, I Have A Number Of Things Don To My Truck, I Just Got The Jba Shortie Headers And They Sound Great And Have A Slight Increase In Throttle Response, As Far As The Intake Goes I Would Stick With A Good Old K&n, But I Would Definately Suggest Saving The Headers For Later, I Got My Cam And Roller Rockers First Thing When I Got The Truck A Year And A Half Ago, Just Now Getting The Headers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, Iluvgrits how much did the cam and rocker rollers cost and did they make a big difference in the truck. I also have a 2001 ram with the 3.9L.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My advice is don't spend any money on that anemic motor. Drive it until you break it, and swap in a v8.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Some personal experience with the 3.9 in my truck, and with a buddies 3.9 in his 1999 Dakota:

Air Filter: The Edelbrock Pro Flow 1002 is what both of us use, you will need to bend up a hold down bolt from 1/4" threaded rod (See "FIPK kit no more" thread for a diagram).

Headers/Exhaust: I am NOT fond of the shorty style of headers sold for ANY engine. I have not seen any significant performance gain with these headers on any engine I have put them on. Personally, I would spend the money on a Magnaflow high flow cat (Part #23285), and your choice of exhaust. I use a split system after the cat, and resonator tips from LMC Truck Parts(Part #56-0135). It is quite loud, but I like it that way. My friends Dakota uses a hi flow cat, and a SI/DO muffler and tailpipes that exit out the rear. His is quieter, but still sounds good.

Ignition: Get good, high quality replacement components whenever something fails. My friend has not seen any gains with MSD boxes, but has seen some improvement with just high quality components.

Computer: Superchips seems to be the only one that has a reprogrammer for the 3.9, and it does help performance on the 3.9.

T-stat/ Cooling: A 180 degree thermostat didn't seem to do much to either improve or harm performance. The best improvement in the cooling department for performance was to change to electric fans. This almost equalled the exhaust performance improvement.

Other improvements: A tonneau cover did as much to improve fuel economy as it did to highway performance, eliminating drag. The truck seemed to accelerate quicker during passing.

If I had to pick an order to do these improvements over again in, it would be:

1. Exhaust. You can never go wrong with improvements here.
2. Air Filter. That stock system is very restrictive.
3. Electric fan conversion.
4. Superchips programmer.
5. Tonneau cover.

I know that this is long, and some of what I said may be contrary to what other may think (especially shorty headers), but after 30+ years of working on various engines and vehicles, primarily pickups, I have come to these conclusions based on a wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
552 Posts
on top pf all that, i would add a throttle body off of a 318 or 360 it will help it breathe a little better.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I Got The Cam And Rockers From Krcperformance.com
They Were A Decent Price And The People There Were Great With Answering My ?'s. There Wasnt A Huge Improvement In Power, But Definately A Noticable One That Was More Than Worth The Money. The Engine Woke Up And The Bottom End Was The What I Thought Would Be Most Affected, But On The Highway Form 2500- About 4600 Rpm Is Where That Cam Really Makes A Difference. Also, I Wouldnt Waste My Time On A V8 Throttle Body, I Put One On There From A Dakota R/t Adn It Killed My 0-45 Mph, Go With A Fastman V6 Throttle Body. Also I Am Talking With Hughes Performance About A Custom Ground Cam And Will Be Getting Rid Of The Krc One Shortly. The First Thing I Would Do Though Is An Intake B/c The Factory Set Up Is Bogus And Really Holds Back The Hp.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My advice is don't spend any money on that anemic motor. Drive it until you break it, and swap in a v8.

TRUE FROM THE FACTORY THE V6 ISNT WORTH SHITTING ON, BUT COMPARED TO MODERN DAY TRUCKS, THE 5.9 ISNT EITHER. A FACTORY 5.9 CAME WITH 245 HP, NOW A 3.7 V6 COMES WITH 225 HP- JUST LACKING THE TORQUE OF THE V8. THE V6 IS A GOOD PLATFORM TO BUILD ON JUST LIKE THE V8'S AND MAINTAINS BETTER MPG'S EVEN WITH MODS. PUT IT THIS WAY, I CAN TAKE MY BUDDIES EXT CAB 2000 RAM WITH A 360 ( INTAKE, EXHAUST, PROGRAMMER, SHIFT KIT, AND M1) TO 55 MPH ALL DAY. BUT HE CAN DO BETTER BURNOUTS :D AND PULLS LIKE A TRAIN ON THE HIGHWAY.
THE V6 DESERVES MORE CREDIT THAN WHAT IS GIVEN TO IT.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.