DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 Dakota with the 3.9. I just purchased it to drive in the winters anyway the problem is that somewhere in its past the wiring to the computer on the pass side fenderwell and to the carb have been hacked up. I would like to install a traditional distibutor in it like you would buy to convert a older V8 from points to electronic ignition. I have looked and not had any luck finding anything so I thought I would ask you guys. I would also like to change the carb to a carter that has no electrics. I know the stock setup works fine but I think that I am missing to much of the wiring to make it work rightt.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well if your in an area that requires a annual emission test your going to have a heck of a time gettin get to pass with a carb as it came with fuel injection..

Get a OE Manuel and run some wires, it's not as hard as it sounds. then it will run the same all the time.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My truck has a carb, I don't live in a area that does emmisions testing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can bolt on the older carb and it will run fine without changing the distributor(or at least mine does) but if you want to change to the older electronic distributor all you have to do is get a V8 distributor(be sure and get one with vac. advance and single 2 wire plug) and change the piece in the middle with one out of a slant six distributor. Then get a V6 cap and your in business.You can get an ECU from pep boys or napa for under $20.Good luck

·
Registered
301 Posts

You can't beat the old electronic ignitions .When you put a 6cyl reluctor in the distibutor, line up the pickup and reluctor to see if the rotor lines up with the cap. You may also need the 6 cyl pickup.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have all of the parts to do the dist swap. The reason that I want to get rid of the "hall effect" distributor is that it alway acts like it is out of time and when you shut the motor off it "diesels" I have checked and set the timing to spects and it makes no difference. Would the reluctor and cap work off of the distributor thats in it now?

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
I don't think so... The reluctor wil probably have one odd size "prong" to indicate #1 TDC and won't work correctly because of this. Also check your cap, latter models are held on with screws instead of clips.
I'm not a V-6 expert and don't know when all the transistions were made, just tossing known info to look for.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I am probably going to round up the parts this weekend so that I can get this swap into motion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.