DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about those that have changed from 3:55 gears with 17 inch tires to 4:56 gears and staying with the 17 inch tires and how they like it. I don't have the money as of yet but would like to know ahead of time how everyone likes them or not. Thanks for the information in advance.

·
DELTARAM
100 Posts
4:45

Hi dback
I went from 3:55 to 4:56 and love them, but I have 20" wheels. It is the diameter of the tires that you need to calculate rpms etc.
For example my tires are 32" diameter and my 1500 Ram Hemi turns 2000 rpm at 60 mph. The Truck is much better off the line and pulls my 5000lb trailer much better.
The trans. is not shifting back and forth and lugging all the time like before.
The fuel mileage increased in town by 1 or 2 mpg and on the freeway seems to have increased slightly. Am I happy I spent the money....YOU BET !!
It feels like a new powerful truck not the dog of a Hemi I thought it was.
Do a search for 4:56 on this forum and you will see that there are many people that are happy campers. Have a good installer do the job.
;)

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
X2!
I have 4:56's and still run my 17's (and the added bane of the 45RFE four speed tranny). I had to step up to 285/70-17's to get my RPM's down, but with your 545RFE five-speed, you shouldn't have near the need to do so.

Do it! The smile will never be wiped off your face, mine hasn't, lol....

·
quadhemi4x4
626 Posts
kruser79 said:
Do it! The smile will never be wiped off your face, mine hasn't, lol....

I couldnt agree more :rck:

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
As a guy I knew from Philly used to say "I am happy as a piss ant in a lunch box" :dunno:

I had 265/70/17s originally and now I have 285/70/17s on my whimpy 4.7L and I could not tell the difference with the larger tires. I also have a lower final gear ratio of 0.73 in my manual tranny vs the 0.67 in the automatics, but it is still a great upgrade.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for the information.

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
Completely different truck with my 4.56 gears and Detroit True Trac. :rck:

Definitely do it. You'll be more than pleased! :)

Sil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.