Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have an 2001 1/2 ton and thinking about getting a new 3/4 or 1 ton and just wanted see how you all like them. What are some common problems and how are the trannys holdin up.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I love my 3/4 ton. I don't tow heavy enough to need the 1 ton so I am happy. No problems with the exception of my plastic intercooler (replaced by the dealer for free with an aluminum one).
The tranny is fine unless you plan on doing some performance upgrades (like most do). Many guys here still have their stock trannies, but you can have issues if you beat on it. Mostly depends on what you plan to do and what you are looking for.

·
Registered
852 Posts
mikeah169 said:
Hey guys,
I have an 2001 1/2 ton and thinking about getting a new 3/4 or 1 ton and just wanted see how you all like them. What are some common problems and how are the trannys holdin up.

Do you want a HEMI or a CTD?

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
i would assume he wanted the diesel since hes in the diesel section. im no pro...but i believe the diff between the 1 ton and the 3/4 ton are the rear springs. i believe the 3/4 has 5 and the 1 ton has 7

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I want to get a CTD. I dont tow anything that often and if i do it's my dads jet ski's and even my 1/2 ton can pull that with no problem. What are some good mods for the truck, any of the Banks products?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
That depends on if he wants the 0ne ton with training wheels :D
As far as the trannys go, if you stay under 75 extra HP you should be fine. I beat mine on a daily basis with the Edge EZ and also pull an 18K toy box most weekends and with 50K on it haven't had a problem with the tranny yet.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
mikeah169 said:
Yes, I want to get a CTD. I dont tow anything that often and if i do it's my dads jet ski's and even my 1/2 ton can pull that with no problem. What are some good mods for the truck, any of the Banks products?
You won't find many Banks fans on Dodgetalk (or many other sites). There is almost endless choices when it comes to mods. Take your time and do some research. Lots of options and opinions.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Training wheels are nice if you tow a 5th wheel or gooseneck, but thats really all. If your not towing big heavy trailers then the dually would not be practical. And unless you plan on hauling a heavy payload, the 1 ton packs are kinda overkill. 1 tons are meant to carry heavy loads, not groceries.

I would say my 3/4 is overkill for me as well. Every once in a while I'll haul stone, dirt or wood, but thats about as much as she's seen so far. I want a big camper though....
Its just cool having a Cummins, nothing overkill about that, hehe :elton:

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Training wheels are nice if you wanna race too, gives you another set of wheels to use for the launch :D

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
DieselFreak said:
Do you want a HEMI or a CTD?
Im a dumbass... I shoud have thought before I posted my last one.... :whackit:

·
Registered
852 Posts
mikeah169 said:

If thats all your going to tow, then a 3/4 would be more than enough for you. The trannies in my opinion are holding up quite well, compared to the older models. I wish I would have got a 6 shooter, but oh well I like my auto tranny too...

Banks is wayyyyyyy overrated, and too pricey. There are lots of other manufactures out there who make the same aftermarket prouducts, for probably 1/3 the price... Seriously..... If this is going to be your first diesel, I would highly recommed that you ask lots of questions on here, and you will get an answer to almost anything that you ask. Hope this helped...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all replies. I think the 1 ton is overkill for me, well so is the 3/4 ton but its nice to have the CTD and towing capacity if I ever need it. If I decide to get one you can gaurantee I'll be on here asking lots of questions.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Not many people seem to have issues with their trannys however, my dads 05 2500 CTD tranny is todally shot at 45k. It only tows about 11,000lbs, it pulls it a lot but it's not that much weight. The thing is I think it was a dealer problem as it was ok till the 30k tranny service. The rear end is also howling like crazy since new, the truck just seems to be a lemon.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Well, Duallies are just cool and that's why I got one. Now it's a little harder getting it between the white lines to park it......

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
You'll get used to pushing the little cars out of the way so you have a place to park :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ram3500Dually said:
That depends on if he wants the 0ne ton with training wheels :D
As far as the trannys go, if you stay under 75 extra HP you should be fine. I beat mine on a daily basis with the Edge EZ and also pull an 18K toy box most weekends and with 50K on it haven't had a problem with the tranny yet.
Hey RAM3500Dually what trans do you have in that rig? I have the 48RE and I've already blown 1 trans towing 1600+lbs. Waiting to test the rebuild. Tows find in the desert hates the mountains. What the trick?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I have the auto. How often do you run your Bullydog on the high setting?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've tried the Performance and Extreme settings to see the difference but I mainly use the Tow/Econo setting around town and towing. Have you upgraded your tranny at all?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Haven't touched it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How does your stock tanny tow that 18K Lbs in the mountains? Kills mine in the mountains! Wander if I just got a bad trans?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.