DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to make this short. I posted here before and my #8 exhaust valve breaking, got a remanufactured engine and had it installed. Rear main seal started leaking so took it in to have fixed and found metal flakes and cutting fluid in coolant. Drained coolant and kept a sample and gave to the MAJOR NAME engine remanufacturer to have it tested. They wanted to just flush it and give it back to me, I told them no, after you drain the oil and check it I will see. Drained oil and found crap inside the oild circuit too. I told them I wanted a new reman, after arguing with them my truck had pristine fluid in the radiator and the stuff we were seeing is not scale and then arguing my truck didn't have an external oil cooler that caused this they sent me a new engine. We cracked the 1st engine open to find blasting material(sand or glass) in the oil pan and the oil pump was trashed.

They finally excepted to pay me back for the radiator, hoses and thermostat I bought for the 2nd NEW engine and the shop just called to tell me they installed the new eninge and ran it for 30 minutes only to start seeing the rear main seal on this one start to leak. There were multiple things wrong with the first engine other than what I have mentioned here. I know I have no beef with the mechanic, it isn't his fault and he is getting paid to do everything again and again. What should I do next?

My original engine is long gone, they haven't or won't share the information they have come up with regarding the fluid sample that was supposed to be back over a week ago.

They just keep issuing a warranty claim and fixing crap as it arises. I am afraid I am going to get stuck out in no mans land with this truck, I am starting to really wonder if I am ever going to have confidence this thing will get me from point A to point B. I really don't know if they are just going to limp this thing to the warranty limit and them I am stuck with a piece of crap...

What should I do next?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
make this company buy you a reman from a different company of your choice and pay any core charges since I am sure they will want their pile of crap back.

other option is pull that reman out of there and make them refund your money plus whatever they would have charged you for a core since they got your old engine and cant give it back. Find a low milage truck that was been wrecked and get the engine from it. I would pull the oil pan and at least the valve covers to check it before paying for it.

It would be cheaper for them to just give you your money back or pay for a reman from someone else than it would be to keep having to repair or replace yours.

If they don't like either option let them know that you are more than happy to share their company name, address, website, and all your problems on every car and truck forum that you belong to or can find.
It would be even better if you had any pictures of what you found in the pan and in the coolant to post up.

If they try and tell you that they can take legal action against you or anything else if you do this tell them to bring it on cause they can't do anything to you since it is all true and verified by an independant shop.

·
Registered
368 Posts
so what was the name of this company?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
how much for a factory reman ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am real leary about saying their name due to the fact, I don't have the thing done yet and someone may troll through these pages and figure out who this is, however; their intials are AER Manufacturing :secret2:. They are the only reman that is ISO certified and they do crate engines directly for Ford. Maybe that's the problem?
:thatfunny

Anyway, here are pictures of what was in the engine, I hope you can see this but you can see the oil pick up tube is clogged and there is sandy gritty blasting material type particles all over the inside of the engine. I only got 408 miles on it before all hell broke loose.

I have been extremely calm about all this but I am about to lose it. It has been too cold and rainy to ride my Harley and I have been buming rides from my fiance and friends for over a month now. They have delayed so much, I have only had a vehicle for 4 days out of the last 40+ days.

Attachments

·
what's my bore?
3,933 Posts
what city and state are you in?
did they pay for the labor of the install of the 2nd engine?
What type of warranty came with the engine? miles and or time?
if you take the 2nd engine back will they give you a refund? A full refund?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am in Arlington, Tx...

They have promised to pay the labor to replace the second engine, haven't gotten it back yet, rear main seal is being replaced tomorrow.

I really don't know what kind of refund I could get but I am out right at $5000.00 so far with purchase of the engine, the install of the original engine and replacement parts I added since I was worried they wouldn't honor the warranty considering they were originally trying to blame this on my radiator until we found material in the oil system also.(radiator, hoses etc) Their warranty paperwork says if the vehicle has a oil cooler it must be replaced to retain the warranty. I figured they would do the same thing regarding the radiator since we have had this issue. They did offer to pay for the parts I have bought so far as well. Another problem, they have my core which would mess me up trying to get another one.

·
what's my bore?
3,933 Posts
like you said, when they are finished what kind of confidence are you going to have?
5000.00 is a sh-- load of money to have to put into any year truck. if you could get out of it and at lease get your money back on the engine's. i would say try used, alot of salvage yards will give a one year warranay and they will cover labor if something go's wrong, but you may be married to this reman engine now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, after roughly $3000.00 for the reman, $1600.00 for the original teardown, diagnosis then labor for install of orginal reman and then extra added crap... $5000.00, I think I am married to this thing. Problem is, if I have another problem out of this thing I may throw a fit and demand a crate engine and see what they say, couldn't hurt?!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, they fixed the rear seal, all is good!

But wait, the front seal started leaking now. The mech says the seal came with the kit the engine builder provided and now that two rear seals have failed from their kit, he can't warranty the front seal. He said he was going to replace the seal and try and turn it into them for payment. He said they are probably going to fight me on this because he is the one that had to install it upon build up he wasn't going to eat it due to all the other failures. I really can't blame him due to the fact he has agreed to do all this extra work at the reduced warranty rate the engine reman people pay and feels they are using crap gasket kits, "Victor-Reinz"

They won't answer me directly regarding the tests from the material and liquid samples that were sent to their lab for testing. They originally told me to wait a day or two to let them figure things out before they sent another reman. I told them no and I wanted a new engine now, which they provided, this was two weeks ago tomorrow that I was supposed to wait only two days... they still haven't provided anything from those test results. I am just waiting for them to throw up their hands and tell me I am on my own.

I sent them an email an hour ago formally requesting a meeting with their warranty Manager, operations Manager and VP of operations and/or Marketing in person with all the materials, pictures, lab results and receipts.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
if they refuse the meeting or are unwilling to do anything else I would start back with your bank or credit card company or however you paid them in the first place.
If that doesn't work maybe spend a little cash and talk to a lawyer. Have a nice letter sent to them with your requests on the lawyers letterhead. that will make them know you are very serious.

·
Registered
368 Posts
AER is owned by ford according to a guy i used to work with who worked at ford a long time. i was going to buy a 318 from them once and he told me to run from aer. he said he put 7 aer engines in the same truck, 4 before it ever left the shop! aer reuses every thing.u can pull one down and it will have 3 different size bearings on the rod or mains. they bore a bad cylinder to the max then push in a thin sleeve that won't last. i bought a atk engine instead. a little more expensive but never had any trouble with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The problem is, I paid the distributer for the engine and not them directly. They won't care I am guessing. I may have to get a lawyer involved.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Diesldoc1,

What did your friend do to fix the problem? Did he just keep replacing the engine until it finally made it out of the shop and just hope it never comes back? Where does your friend work, would very much enjoy talking to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
I would take the damn motor out and give it back, get my money back with a lawyer and a sheriff present, and take it somewhere else. If the same shop put in two different motors that had the same exact problems?? Something with the shop isn't right. They aren't doing the proper work. No way that two engines, back to back, should have the exact same problem.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
it definitely sucks that your having these problems though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only similar problem is the rear main seals going out. However, there was foreign particles and sand blasting or other types of abrasive materials in the engine oil and coolant systems that in no way the mechanics fault. The mechanic didn't install the original rear main seals in either of he engines that failed. The only thing to date even remotely could be the mechs fault would be the front shaft seal and that is just an extremely small part of the whole story.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.