DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install a second battery (deep cycle) in a 2008 Ram 1500. My local Dodge servioce rep advised that since the 2500 Ram come equipped with a second battery, I could use the existing mounting holes for the additonal battery tray. The problem is is the space is obstructed by the air cleaner/filter. Since I plan on installing a K&N CAI, figured that would free up the extra space.

Has anyone had any experience installing a second battery to power a 1750 v power inverter?

Also, looking for advice on where to install the power inverter (under passenger seat ????)

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Im doing the same as you with another battery. The thread on it is here. I already have my battery isolators and 2 Optima batteries (one red and one yellow) but I am still looking for a battery tray. I dont have the air intake obstruction because I removed my factory air intake and went with a CAI that really cleared up a lot of room. I also do have a power invertor and it is under my drivers seat and gets power off of a distribution block for my stereo which is fed from my battery with a 2/0 wire.

WHat are you trying to power with that bit of an invertor anyway?

·
Just Chillin'
204 Posts
I have a 2000 watt inverter mounted under my drivers seat. I use it for running a small fridge mounted in my bed, charging my wheelchair, running power tools when needed, 13" TV & Video system to keep the kids happy while traveling, you get the idea.

I ran a 12 gauge extension cord under the cab and into the front of the bed to get power to the bed area. This has all been running off the original battery for over 2 years. Oh yeah, my wheelchair hoist in the bed is 12 volt.

My advice, go with the Vararam Hemi Under Glass CAI. I had a K&N 63 series CAI and never any room for the second battery. Now the factory air box area is free at last if I decide to add the extra battery.

I use my inverter mostly while the truck is in motion unless I am using power tools out the back. I have plenty of time with the engine off using a soldering gun & heat gun to do wiring etc. or vacuum cleaner before my inverter beeps to let me know I have a low battery & need to start the engine.

Need more info or pics let me know. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
563 Posts
My battery is mounted on the transmission cross member to keep it close
to the inverter that's mounted under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Auxiliary Battery

Thanks for the great pictures and information. You've seem to figure out the ideal manner in which to install both the inverter and possible second battery. I'm told that removing the stock air filter and replacing it with a CAI will free up enough space to put a second battery tray where most RAM 2500 have theirs. What gauge wire did you use for the inverter? How long was the wire? Did you remove the original outlet and replace it with a GFI? If so, how difficult was that?

Thanks again for your quick response. This is by far the best website for Dodge owners and some of the brightest and saavy people contirubute to this site. Thanks again for your help.:gr_patrio

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just a thought.

Could you get a stock(or aftermarket) intake and battery tray from a CTD, then just plumb the intake to your engine.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thanks for the great pictures and information. You've seem to figure out the ideal manner in which to install both the inverter and possible second battery. I'm told that removing the stock air filter and replacing it with a CAI will free up enough space to put a second battery tray where most RAM 2500 have theirs. What gauge wire did you use for the inverter? How long was the wire? Did you remove the original outlet and replace it with a GFI? If so, how difficult was that?

I looked at using the stock duel battery set up but didn't want to run all that
1/0 gauge battery cable. If I remember right it would have taken around 20' with
the stock set up. I managed with just three feet the way mine is.

The charge wire to the second battery is 4 gauge and the second battery also
powers a 12v air compressor.

I removed the original control panel which includes the GFCI from the inverter,
extended the wires and mounted it below the glove box for better access. I wouldn't
recommend you doing it though unless you like doing that sort of stuff. I was a
lot of extra effort to run a dozen wires under the carpet and kick panel and out
the side rail to get to the glove box. It would have worked just as well if I'd
have left it on the inverter... but I like to fool around with stuff like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.