DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '06 Ram 1500 Sport 5.7l has just over 27k miles, and the oil level ends up just below the safe zone on the dipstick about every 3k miles. Is that typical of the Gen 3 Rams? What would my warranty do to help resolve this?

Also, the inside of my exhaust tips are pretty sooty-black, which I would normally think to be just running rich. Is it possible these issues are connected? My buddy claims a rich running engine can reduce the seal of oil scraper rings, causing an engine to consume oil?

If the issues ARE separate, can a dealership lean my fuel map for the high elevation in Denver? Thanks guys, wanted to ask the pros before I deal with the guys at a dealership.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
I don't have an answer, but I'll bump this back to the top for you.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
def not good

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
The dealer will say 1 qt. per 1000 miles is normal. Mine doesn't use much at all, I can get 6000 miles without adding as long as I don't pull anything. I found if I pull something heavy it will use oil. I'm running Mobil 1.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I just finished changing the oil, and there is definitely no significant oil leaks. I realize the dealership is going to tell me some BS like it is ok for it to lose a good amount of oil. This is just unacceptable in my mind...I've owned a Mitsubishi, and my wife still has a Camry that both racked up over 170,000 miles without using oil.

I'm also running Mobil 1 synthetic, and I'll have to keep an eye on the oil level (on a 2 year old truck!!).

Any thoughts on having the computer adjusted for elevation? Thanks again.

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
Any thoughts on having the computer adjusted for elevation?

The PCM takes care of that since it senses manifold air pressure MAP sensor.

·
Registered
91 Posts
isn;t there a PCV valve that gets clogged and burns oil?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Not right, but nothing that the dealer can fix. They will call it acceptable. I would try running a different oil, in fact I would go with full dino-oil to check and see if the result is the same.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
If your engine is "burning" it, I would think that checking the sparkplugs is in order. X2 with the PCV. I have read many threads where the PCV is the culprit of "burning" oil.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Do some research on how to read your plugs when you pull them out to check the color of them.
The PCV valve is Positive Crankcase Ventalation and it should rattle when you remove it and shake it other wise replace it.
Whats you air filter look like also???
Something isn't right for sure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
my in laws 01 Toyota highlander, was doing the samething, the dealer did the dye test, said it may have to replace the engine, my father in law did not believe it. I googled it, PCV was a common issue, got one for a few bucks and it fixed the issue, he informed the dealer.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn, thanks for all the replies! PCV valves are cheap enough that I will replace it today and see if it cures the oil consumption.

I have an AFE Magnum Force (?) air intake, and the filter is dry. I'll check the throttle body side today as well.

Also, the spark plugs are due soon, so I will check them when I replace them. I know how to read them for probs, so hopefully they come out dry!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also don't see any smoke coming from the exhaust when the engine is revved, so that is a good sign.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, my spark plugs were all in good shape: Golden brown color, dry, pretty uniform. I'm 1k miles from another oil change and it's down about 3/4 quart. I took the PCV valve out and it seemed to rattle without hesitation, so maybe I'll try different oil this time around. Would another brand of synthetic oil make a difference, or just changing to dino oil?

Was under the truck this weekend, definitely no leaks.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
Well, my spark plugs were all in good shape: Golden brown color, dry, pretty uniform. I'm 1k miles from another oil change and it's down about 3/4 quart. I took the PCV valve out and it seemed to rattle without hesitation, so maybe I'll try different oil this time around. Would another brand of synthetic oil make a difference, or just changing to dino oil?

Was under the truck this weekend, definitely no leaks.
I use Amsoil 0W-30 in my 4.7 and it never consumes any oil. I change it every 12-15k miles and always pour 6 quarts in the engine and at least 5.75 quarts back in the empty bottles from the oil drain pan. I know it's a different engine, but you should not be using any oil, especially at 27k miles.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use Amsoil 0W-30 in my 4.7 and it never consumes any oil. I change it every 12-15k miles and always pour 6 quarts in the engine and at least 5.75 quarts back in the empty bottles from the oil drain pan. I know it's a different engine, but you should not be using any oil, especially at 27k miles.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't use anything but 5w20 because of the MDS. I have a feeling that thin oil is part of the problem, especially with the large tolerances of American automotive manufacturing.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't use anything but 5w20 because of the MDS. I have a feeling that thin oil is part of the problem, especially with the large tolerances of American automotive manufacturing.
You can use 0W-20 with the MDS. Amsoil makes a good 0W-20 also. I hope I don't start anything with bring up the "A" word in here. Also, I honestly don't think oil type, whether it be Mobile1, Amsoil, or dino oil will make a difference. Are you sure your engine got broke in properly? Did you baby it the whole time it was new? I don't think your rings ever got seated properly and that's why you are burning oil.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The first 15k miles were 90% highway. 65-75 mph. I did baby it, and switched to synthetic at about 5k miles.

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
The first 15k miles were 90% highway. 65-75 mph. I did baby it, and switched to synthetic at about 5k miles.
I think that's your problem. A new engine needs to be driven harder than that to properly break it in. WOT on the highway is good for them. I would drive it like you stole it and there is a chance the rings still may eventually seat.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.