DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any 4x4 guys running this size tire on their truck? I'm curious if they look like donut tires or not - so any help you guys can provide would be great!

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts
Mine's a 2G but that is what I am currently running. I plan to move up a few sizes when tire buying time rolls around again, though. I'm adding the 2" coil spacer, so I'll probably go up to a 285/70/17 or 295/70/17.

Check out my gallery for pics.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I appreciate it. Hey, your truck looks new - it's nice to see someone take care of their vehicle!

I'm running 285's right now, but the almighty speed bug has bit me. I didn't realize how much they were slowing me down until I went to the track. It's just so hard to tell what they'll look like on my truck. The stock 275's were fine, I'm just curious if one size down will make it look funny.

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
do yourself a favor

goto a dealership and look at 70% of the rams on 17's

those are 265x70r17

·
David-2001 Ram Off-Road
2,857 Posts
Thanks-she's only got 160k miles on her-LOL. :D

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have P265/70's on my truck right now, and IMO they look small. I really want to move up to a 285/70. I feel your pain though, I don't want to slow my truck down to much, but I want alittle bigger tire.. :dunno:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is mine on 265/70/17's

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are some nice looking trucks gentleman! The 285's are just too much tire in regards to weight. They weigh 16lbs more per tire than my stock 275's. They look great, don't get me wrong, but losing half a second in the 1/4 mile sucks.

Do you guys mind posting a picture from the back? I'd just like to see how they look from the rear. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
265's are baby tires. they came stock on my truck and it just looked silly to have those tires. 285's are definitely the way to go. it didnt effect my 1/4 mile time, but i would care more about how my truck looks than how it performs in the 1/4 mile. its not like you race every second you drive. however, even when your truck is sitting or being seen on the road, people are saying "that looks cool, those tires fit nicely" or "those are tiny tires on that big truck." 90% of people dont care about 1/4 mile

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Heres the best one I have on hand. My track tires on the back are 265/70r17s too.

That is with no spare though so its sitting alittle higher.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HemiMagnum said:
90% of people dont care about 1/4 mile
You obviously do - as evident by your sig :D I don't think 265's are baby tires, 245's yes. But I don't have a programmer that pushes out 100+ ft/lbs of torque like you do. The difference between me running a 15.6 and a 16.1 are the tires. That is a HUGE discrepency. Someone else on here told me the weight difference in the tires (rolling mass) is like carrying 450 lbs in the bed of my truck. Plus, it makes my 3.92 feel like a 3.73. 265's weigh less than my stock tires, which would probably make my 3.92 FEEL like a lower gear.

Not to mention, running larger tires also affects gas mileage. I've seen a 1-1.5 mpg drop with the BFG's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.