DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Skaarew(Erik) posted a while back a spreadsheet of the 260, 268, and the 273 HP and TQ ratings. This info was from a crate motor and the figures are not accurate as far as amounts that we would see on our trucks, but are probably somewhat accurate of the differences we could expect in the different cams. Anyhoo the HP and TQ figures have been averaged from 2500-6000 RPM's and from 4500-6000 RPM's and the results are very interesting. What it tells me is the 260 is probably the best choice because of the possibility of no tuning issues, AND that it basically makes the same amount of power just lower in the RPM range. It's really not until you get between 5500-6000 that the 268 show an improvement, but the 260 is stronger down low. I've been thinking of upgrading my 6.1 and I'll probably go with the 260.....tell me what you think (except you dline...you're too wordy in your responses!!)

Attachments

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
260 man im going with that

·
Had 392.. Now.. LS2 GTO!!
4,362 Posts
273 j/k

Umm 260.. Down with the 6.1 cam.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing to remember about the 273 is the power is really made above 6000, actually probably over 7000 RPM's.....not feasable on a stock engine.

·
4,362 Posts
lol ya i know i was just kidding bro. Get the 260 and be very fast. good luck

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never bought the 268....the ARC-1 scared me!!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
i have some interesting information.

i have been thinking, and have been talking to cam help at comp cams.

i can order a xfi260, xfi268, or xfi273 for 350 shipped to my door.

i can also order a custom grind for the same price.

NOW.

this is my idea.

people are running the 260 with no problems. but are worried about the 268 running wrong.

what if i custom ordered one. what if i ordered the duration somewhere between the 260 and 268. and ordered the same lift as the 273.

that would get noticably more power then the 260. the slight increase in duration will not be so much that it wont run on stock tune. and the good sizable jump in lift will be what makes the added power.

should make power somewhere between the 268 and 273(closer to 273) and run just about as good on stock tune as the 260.

this is coming from the cam help guys from comp cam.

i talked to quick03 and hemi450hp and they both shot me down on the idea, but before i got to explain all this to them.

i think i am gonna do this. someone has to step outside the box to figure out what works.

·
4,362 Posts
well dline and I did the KRC210/comp cams 260 cams and told everyone about them . Its time for someone else to step up

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hola If Ya HEMI said:
i have some interesting information.

i have been thinking, and have been talking to cam help at comp cams.

i can order a xfi260, xfi268, or xfi273 for 350 shipped to my door.

i can also order a custom grind for the same price.

NOW.

this is my idea.

people are running the 260 with no problems. but are worried about the 268 running wrong.

what if i custom ordered one. what if i ordered the duration somewhere between the 260 and 268. and ordered the same lift as the 273.

that would get noticably more power then the 260. the slight increase in duration will not be so much that it wont run on stock tune. and the good sizable jump in lift will be what makes the added power.

should make power somewhere between the 268 and 273(closer to 273) and run just about as good on stock tune as the 260.

this is coming from the cam help guys from comp cam.

i talked to quick03 and hemi450hp and they both shot me down on the idea, but before i got to explain all this to them.

i think i am gonna do this. someone has to step outside the box to figure out what works.
Well the problem with the 273 is the power is at 7000 RPM's, even the 268 is more like 6200-6300 for max power. At 6000 RPM's it's no different then the other cams with a big loss of low end TQ. It would be a good cam for a light car(retro Hemi fitted Duster) with a built shortblock, but not a heavy-azz truck.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
if you can find someone to grind me a custom cam for a reasonable price = -500 dollars id be willing to be the guine pig, just need someone to hook me up with the specs for the cam! and where to get it!

·
Registered
658 Posts
yes i understand that. that is why i want to order a cam with just a touch higher duration. and the larger lift of the 273. the duration is where the rpms come in. the higher the duration, the higher it has to rev.

if i got a cam with just slightly higher duration then the 260 but with the larger lift of the 273, then i would have the higher max hp number closer to the 273 but the great low and midrange of the 260.

cam help at comp cams said they made three different cams so people can choose. he said that if it was him he would do what i am talkin about. they could have made a max hp cam for us that ran under 6400. but that isnt what everyone wants.

that is why they have custom grind cams, and cam help. so we can do it.

i for one will be custom ordering my cam.

just for comparison i will give you the specs of the comp cams.

............xfi260...................xfi268....................xfi273
duration 208/212................216/220.................224/228
lift........522/525................528/531.................547/550
lob sep..113.......................113........................114

now, my cam will be like this

duration 210/214
lift 547/550
lob sep 113

this should be the best of both worlds. i did it up on desktop dyno, and it is a GREAT DIFFERENCE.

·
Registered
658 Posts
like i said. i can get the cam for 350 shipped. i will do it first and let ya know.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
well if that cam works than you let me know and ill put it on in the truck!

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hola If Ya HEMI said:
yes i understand that. that is why i want to order a cam with just a touch higher duration. and the larger lift of the 273. the duration is where the rpms come in. the higher the duration, the higher it has to rev.

if i got a cam with just slightly higher duration then the 260 but with the larger lift of the 273, then i would have the higher max hp number closer to the 273 but the great low and midrange of the 260.

cam help at comp cams said they made three different cams so people can choose. he said that if it was him he would do what i am talkin about. they could have made a max hp cam for us that ran under 6400. but that isnt what everyone wants.

that is why they have custom grind cams, and cam help. so we can do it.

i for one will be custom ordering my cam.

just for comparison i will give you the specs of the comp cams.

............xfi260...................xfi268....................xfi273
duration 208/212................216/220.................224/228
lift........522/525................528/531.................547/550
lob sep..113.......................113........................114

now, my cam will be like this

duration 210/212
lift 547/550
lob sep 113

this should be the best of both worlds. i did it up on desktop dyno, and it is a GREAT DIFFERENCE.
Well hell man do it.....just hurry up because I'm just about ready to order a 260 and I don't want to have to change the cam again.....three time in three months is too much!! :D Seriously trial and error is how the rest of us figure out what really works, if it works and makes bigger power, I'd like to hear about it.

·
Josh
4,202 Posts
espicially if he can get the cam cheaper than the 390 something for the comp 260!

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.