DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are the rear spring shackles in terms of failing or making noise? I'm getting some pretty wicked clunking in the rear and I'm wondering if that';s what's causing it. I just did the shcks and it didn't change anything(it helped the handling not the noise). Can't find anything else loose visually.

No unusual tire wear since fixing the shocks. 94k miles. The clunk occurs over even small bumps in the road.

· Registered
128 Posts
If the shackles bushings are shot you will be able to tell by looking at them. The shackle will most likely be shot over to one direction or the other. It takes a lot to wear them out, and they don't usually make a loud clunk, more often than not you would have a metal to metal squeak. Leaf spring eye bushings can wear out, and they will clunk. Big exhaust systems can make some pretty infuriating bangs and clunks if they are not routed perfectly. Get underneath and bang around on everything, and have someone jump up and down in the bed. You should be able to trace it that way.

KP

· Registered
991 Posts
I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be the exhaust. My clank only happened when it was hot, and the expanded metal caused some clearances to tighten up. Moral of the story is the source can be hard to find, and the best way is to get under there and poke around.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll go back and check everything again. I looked at the spring eyes but nothing jumped out at me. The springs looked ok, no cracks or loose binders. The exhaust is stock and I checked it too, but I'll give it another go. I have a cap on the back but I'll enlist my son to jump around a bit in the back and see if I can pinpoint it.

Thanks everyone.

· Registered
991 Posts
to avoid scratching the cap, you can have someone "jump" on the rear bumper while you inspect. good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.