DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Christopher
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morn'n everyone... I'm trying to narrow down a selection for a pre-owned RAM. I need a daily driver and something to pull a 5100 lb trailer all over the place. I've been focusing my search on 2004.5 2500, LWB, 4WD, CTD HO(nothing less). I was out cruising local dealer lots on the weekend and came across a 3500, single rear wheel, same setup. I talked to the dealer and they were asking about $2k more for this truck than a similiar setup 2500. It was an awesome truck.

So, should I even consider this truck if I know that the chances of me hauling a trailer over 10k lbs is slim and that I'll probably never load 3k lbs of stuff in the back? What's the difference in fuel consumption going to be? How about ride quality? I've got a 100 mile round trip to work each day. It's a bad-ass truck, but I don't want buyers remorse down the line if it's gonna ride like a buck-board wagon and get terrible fuel mileage... or do I? :VHOT:

Thanks... Christopher

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
As far as I have been told the ONLY difference is suspension and badges.
Unless you need to carry the extra load the higher rated springs in the 3500 will give a lesser ride than the 2500. $2000.00 more for something you may not need and would reduce your ride quality.....
Go for the 2500, you wont regret it.

·
Scapegoat047
375 Posts
I say go for it. You'll have a hard time finding exactly what you want. Besides, you'll have the capacity to tow or haul more if and when you need to.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Unless you like the 3500 more (options, looks, etc) than the 2500 I would save the 2K at get the 2500. The 2500 should be more than adequate to handle your towing needs, and you'll have 2K left over for mods.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Go for your gut feeling on this one..... i think its telling you 2500, save the $ and add mods once you get it :rck: :rck:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't know if it is worth the extra $2K, but if you decide to tow anything heavier, the 3500 will give you an additional 900 lbs on the GVW. I have a 2500 and wished I had a 3500 just to be legal when I tow. I am almost always over on GVW when towin a 9600 lbs trailer. See if you can talk him down on the price. Go to kelly blue book, calculate the difference between the 2500 & 3500 and show it too him. If he says no - start walking. His additude will soon change because he wants the sale.

·
Christopher
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I'm gonna go drive the 3500 and see what I think. There's a bunch of these trucks for sale around here, so I'm for sure going to pressure for a good price... I know that book value is way under what these guys are asking.

Anybody know if there's any other differences? Are the trannys the same?

Christopher

·
Registered
52 Posts
As some said, the main difference is the rear springs, GVW sticker, and the badges. The engine, trany, front & rear axels, and tires are the same. There is a SLIGHT difference on the front brakes with the 3500 having a larger swept area. My understanding is that the ride is about the same also.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ram_in_Texas said:
As some said, the main difference is the rear springs, GVW sticker, and the badges. The engine, trany, front & rear axels, and tires are the same. There is a SLIGHT difference on the front brakes with the 3500 having a larger swept area. My understanding is that the ride is about the same also.
is there a difference in resale value? only after purchasing my hemi 1500 did i realize that in the end the 2500 ctd would have been cheaper to me (if i only keep the truck 2-3 years, which is a distinct possibility because i get bored of vehicles) because i wouldn't get slaughtered when i trade it in.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
I'd say go for the 3500 but tell them they are asking too much for it. I paid no more than I would have for the same 2500 when I bought mine......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.