DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to have the transmission on my 97 2500 4X4 serviced. Service people are saying that the bands do not need adjusting. Can anyone verify that this is true?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
What engine and transmission do you have?

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
you should have a 46RE

I have serviced (filter & fluid) my tranny every 25000- 35000 miles, never needed to adjust the bands.
Is is slipping? Why do you want to adjust the bands?
Mine has 109,000 on it now with no adjustment, other than the line pressure via the TV cable.

edit: didn't notice it was a 2500. in that case, may have a 47RE.
When you say 5.9 you mean the gas or cummins?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 5.9L Magnum MPI gas engine. The xmission is a 4 speed HD. The truck has 116992 on the odometer. Only reason I was as asking was I had noticed in a Haynes Service Manual that it recommended that the bands be adjusted. That particular manual is for 94 - 2001 so it may not apply. Transmission shop says it is not necessary. No specific problem with the tranny, it is just over due for service and I am about to take a long trip.

Thanks,
Rich

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I wouldn't fool with having the bands adjusted if nothing is wrong.
If it's been more than 75,000 since the tranny was serviced I might wait until you get back to have it done.
Sometimes, if they are extremely overdue, servicing can bring about problems.

Note: it should say on the underhood build sticker what type of tranny it has. If not, you can call the dealer and give them the VIN number and they will be able to tell you what it had when assembled.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went ahead and had the service done (drain, new filter, gasket and fluid). Unfortunately there was a lot of fine metal collected on the magnet in the pan. Although there are no signs of a problem while driving, it appears that something is going downhill. I last had the service done at 91085 with no problems noted. So there has been 2500+ miles since then. I can't take the time to have them tear down the tranny to see whats going on right now. I will be traveling on a wing and a prayer through this trip and hope it holds together until I get back and can it checked out.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Unfortunately there was a lot of fine metal collected on the magnet in the pan. Although there are no signs of a problem while driving, it appears that something is going downhill. I last had the service done at 91085 with no problems noted. So there has been 2500+ miles since then.
tell me that's a typo and you meant 25000 miles. Either they didn't clean the magnet the last time they serviced it, or their is some excessive wear going on.
When I serviced mine the second time at 75000 miles, I had about 1/4 inch of sludge/fine particles. The 3rd service at 98,000 I had virtually none. When I installed the temp sesor at 101,000 I had none.
If you got that much within 3000 miles, there is something wrong...unless you drive it hard/extreme towing/power braking.

·
Registered
740 Posts
If you have the 47RE, it is recommended to adjust the bands at fluid changes to keep tolerances within specs. I did mine at 30k and did not need adjusting yet but I'm very gentle on my truck. If you have over 100k I would definitely do it. It might make it last longer. It's pretty simple. One adjustment is on the outside of transmission and the other is inside the pan. The manual you have tells exactly how to do it. Sounds like you've taken care of it. If it's not showing signs of trouble, I would adjust them and drive it with faith. Good Luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chizzle1, You are right. It should have read 25000 +. This morning I looked at the receipt for the service done in April 04. I was surprised to find it was flushed and refilled, filter and gasket were not replaced (no sign of them on the parts list). The amount of sludge and fine particles found on the magnet yesterday was equal or maybe a little more than what you had at 75000. This eases my mind about this trip I am about to take.

Thanks for the help,
Rich

·
Banned
62 Posts
chizzle1 said:
you should have a 46RE

I have serviced (filter & fluid) my tranny every 25000- 35000 miles, never needed to adjust the bands.
Is is slipping? Why do you want to adjust the bands?
Mine has 109,000 on it now with no adjustment, other than the line pressure via the TV cable.

edit: didn't notice it was a 2500. in that case, may have a 47RE.
When you say 5.9 you mean the gas or cummins?

because according to "light duty" maintanence schedule "B" YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO EVERY 30K miles......so if you use your truck for any hard work at all(trailer towing, offroading, etc.) I would think this would be a good idea. With so many of the 46re's going out, I bet this is the root problem of a lot of bad trannys.......?????

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
because according to "light duty" maintanence schedule "B" YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO EVERY 30K miles......so if you use your truck for any hard work at all(trailer towing, offroading, etc.) I would think this would be a good idea. With so many of the 46re's going out, I bet this is the root problem of a lot of bad trannys.......?????
why not ask some people that have had their tranny's rebuilt what failed. Then their would be no guessing involved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.