DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this site, I have a 06 Dodge with 65k miles on it. My question is I was expecting better fuel mileage than the 16 MPG around town that I am getting anyone getting better? My truck is all stock have not even changed wheels. I sometimes pull my RV or Boat.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gas or diesel? Gas 5.7 hemi you are getting about average. Diesel you should be closer to 18 - 20 in town. I'm averaging about 22 overall with my 06 CTD 2500, both in town and highway. How you drive makes allot of difference.

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gas or diesel? Gas 5.7 hemi you are getting about average. Diesel you should be closer to 18 - 20 in town. I'm averaging about 22 overall with my 06 CTD 2500, both in town and highway. How you drive makes allot of difference.

Mike
I have the 5.9 diesel, I'm not sure how to drive better. Lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
OK Jayson, Lets look at a few things that may affect your mileage. You and I have basically the same vehicle (mine: 06 quad cab CTD 4X4 2500, empty weight with 160lb driver in it is 7200lbs). I tow a toy hauler with mine (not all the time) but the tires I have are heavy duty, LT285/70/R17. I don't drive mine like I stole it, but a certainly don't baby it either. Typically I'm nearly always the first one away from a stop light. I drive generally slightly above the speed limit (not enough to gain any unwanted attention - I hope). What size tires do you have, what's your RPM at 70 mph (mine is about 1900). I would imagine I would do better on mileage if I drove more conservatively, but I wouldn't enjoy it as much besides my mechanic told me when I bought it to not baby it. What is the mileage on the truck? I am meticulous about maintenance, everything by the book. I only allow two former dodge dealer mechanics work on it. Mine has about 140K miles on it and the engine is in as near perfect as it can be made. How is the maintenance on yours? How often is the oil/filter changed? Is the oil the proper stuff for your engine? Do you let it sit and idle for any length of time? (CTD's don't like that) During the winter when it's cold I generally try to keep the rpm's at or below 1500 until it warms up a bit. What condition is the transmission in? What is the altitude you drive in? I'm at about 4500ft at home. To be honest I don't think altitude is as big a factor with the diesel as it is with a gas. I'm trying to give you things to think about to compare your circumstances with mine in hopes it will help explain the difference in mileage. Hope it helps.

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like we do have the same truck minus the HD. Thanks for the info....lots to think about....My truck only has 68K. I was I the military so it was not driven a lot. I have the original size E rated tiers on the truck with a rebuilt transmission, as my original had issues. I don't baby my truck but I don't jump on it. I do the speed limit fastest I go is 80 on the freeway. I will have to look at the RPMs. I do all my oil changes and I am not on the nose but I do not let it go over 4K or six months. I even change the fuel filter every year. I have not taken it into a dodge mechanic since I have owned it except for warranty/recall work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, just about as similar as you could get without getting a twin. Your engine is barely just broke in. I go about 5K miles between oil/filter changes. Tires on mine are also E rated. Tranny has had a little work done on it - Had difficulty getting it to shift out of park, a $16.00 part and $350.00 labor took care of that. I'd be curious about the 70 mph rpms. I don't know where the 5.9 produces max torque, but diesels usually produce max pretty low in the rpm range. Mopar is not noted for great transmissions, that was certainly a concern before I bought the truck and in all honesty it still is. I'm not real particular where I buy fuel, try to stay with higher volume stations, generally Sam's Club, sometimes Safeway or a local Shell station, mechanic suggested high volume stations to get the freshest fuel. I also add an additive (forget the name) with every fill also suggested by mechanic. On the highway I always use cruise control. I'm thinking that with that low mileage on the engine that may be why your mileage isn't better. Don't know kind of stumped.

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting better

Now that the weather is getting better my mileage is moving up but still not as high as I would like.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Keep at it, keep us posted. I'm still interested in your situation and if you are ever able to come to a satisfactory resolution.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.