DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to possible replace my truck with a 4x4. I am considering alot of different ideas, but wanted to know your opinions and facts. What is the major difference with a 2500 and a 3500. I understand the fact that it is a 3/4 ton and 1 ton, but what is the effect to an unloaded truck (ride, weight of truck, upgrades)? I tow a good amount, but not anything that requires a 3500, as of now atleast. I have found a new 07 megacab 3500 with the 5.9 that has sparked my interest, especially since it is a new 07 and would think they would work a deal on a 07. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dude I would give my left one for a new 07 with the 5.9 in it. I have a 07 2500 with the 6.7 in it and I am fixing to have to purchase alot of crap to replace all that goverment junk, to help the truck breath and to enable my truck to run and idol, with out any chance of it clogging up and costing me even more money. dont get me wrong I love the power of the 6.7, but there are way to many restrictions on the new engines. With the 5.9 you can burn any type of diesel ( regular or ultra low) and also you can run any type of bio diesel you want. That in its self is worth alot to me plus there are alot more mods out there you can buy now instead of waiting on them to be created.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been doing a little research on the two motors and have heard similiar comments. But would you buy a 1 ton over a 3/4 for the motor? Thanks

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have an 08 3500 Quad
SRW...no problems yet
went from am 05 diesel 2500

I like the power train in the new truck ALOT better
Go for the big boy.........2500s are a dime a dozen

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Personally I would find a 6.7 but only if you planned on removing all the emissions junk or at least unplugging the EGR. I had a 07 5.9 before I got my 08 6.7 and my mileage was never even close to what the 6.7 got once I lost some parts. Power and mileage are great and that 6-speed auto is finally a great auto trans behind these diesels...

Back to the original question, the only difference is the overload springs on the rearend. My 08 was a 2500 and I installed Timbren Overload Springs on it and it was just as good, if not better than a 3500 SRW. Your official weight ratings are still lower but the truck will do anything a 3500 can do. Airbags are another option. Either way a 2500 is a good choice if the price is right.....

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
You can't go wrong with the truck you are looking at.

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Only difference between the SRW 2500 and the 3500 is the rear springs.

If it was me I would jump all over that '07 with the 5.9.

MikeyB

·
Registered
122 Posts
For me when I was looking to was the cost of insurance. My 3500 costs me less a year then the same 2500. Don't know why, all I can think is there are more general public with 2500's running around having accidents vs. 3500's which are normally work trucks for contractors, farmers, etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.