DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my dealership this morning for warranty stuff and looked at a 2500 qc heavy duty hemi.

I have more leafs and bigger with same rear end 3.73 on 10.5

Why is it that tow rating much higher for the 2500 hd I am bigger and heavier then the 2500 so it does not sence to me

also thinking about installing a chip but are not sure between, superchip, bully dog, and the list goes on.

When I asked the guy at the dealer he had no clue what the difference is between a hd and a megacab.

I have been told that I have the equivalent to a 2500 or 3500 frame because of the megacab but why are the towing numbers different and is the megacab rated as a heavy duty truck.

btw i also added air bags and I tow a fifth wheel and it tows like a charm

Thx for your time

·
living life
6,909 Posts
I not sure if the 1500 mega has the 2500 frame or not. But with it being a 2500 it does have the stronger frame, the re axles maybe be different, and I believe the tranny is geared different. This is what pops to mind when I think of the differnece but it is a good question.

Welcome to Dodge Talk!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked the service manager and he said 3.73 is 3.73 and 10.5 is 10.5 rear end and he confirmed after calling dodge that frame is the same so what give's.

·
living life
6,909 Posts
I asked the service manager and he said 3.73 is 3.73 and 10.5 is 10.5 rear end and he confirmed after calling dodge that frame is the same so what give's.
Well then I'm in the same boat as you, I don't know either! ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have also asked this question many times to my dealer also.

I have an 06 1500 Mega Cab and don't understand the numbers myself

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5 speed tranny

the service manager told me that they are built the same way 1500/2500/3500 in the hemi version

the only thing changes in when you get the diesel then you get a 6 speed tranny or you get a 4.10.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked my selling dealer about the fifth wheel we wanted to buy at 11575 lbs and he said without breaking a sweat to go for it ...

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
My guess is probably for tax reasons. Some states charge more for vehicles over 8,800 lb rating.

MikeyB

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Sounds easy to me, get a 3500....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mega's are built on the 2500/3500 platforms (frames) the dealer told me that the 1500 mega has a slightly lower weight rating than the 2500 for some reason I have an 08 mega 1500 and it tow rating is below a 2500. No one I have talk to can figure out why the rating is lower it might be that if you call it a 2500 it cost more.

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
well, the springs may be bigger, but, they aren't as stiff, that's gonna be the reason i bet...;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was right under this truck this morning with my tape measure and reviewed every angle ... I am totally stumped.

is there a dodge mechanic on here maybe that cn answer the all mighty burning question once and for all...

I do not plan to change my truck at all it tows that fifth wheel like a dream the only draw back is that i slow down a bit going up hill remember I tow my camper 4 times a year at most.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This forum is fricken awesome man i was not expecting a response so fast from all of you guys.

Now the burning question, what chip should I get for my lovely lady (I am talking about the truck of course) :)

hypertech, superchip, bully dog...

so many to choose from, they all say that they are the cats ass but who to believe ?

Thx again guys you have given this canadian a new appreciation for my dodge that I luv so much.

cheers A

·
Registered
349 Posts
My understanding is the only difference is the springs. The 1500's are sprung softer for a smoother ride thus dont have the weight carrying capacity as a true 2500.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Suspension, & tires would be my guess. Our 04' QC 2500 4x4 had load range E tires on it from factory. There were many complaints of how harsh the 2500s rode so maybe that was an attempt to appease those buyers. Also, a mega weighs more than a standard QC, so - the xtra weight from its load cap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seems like it could be related to gross vehicle weight. The reason a 4x4 typically has less towing capacity than a similarly-equipped 4x2 is due to the extra weight of the 4 wheel drive components eating into GVWR. You could apply similar logic here, assuming the Megacab components truly are similar to a 2500.

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,089 Posts
2500 Mega has a 11.5" rear end where the 1500 Mega is sportin the 10.5"

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
2500 Mega has a 11.5" rear end where the 1500 Mega is sportin the 10.5"
Would that hold the same Shelby if one was a 1500 Mega Hemi, and the other was a 2500 Mega Hemi?

The others have kind of hit the nail on the head between a 2500 HD and a Mega 1500. They are both on the same frame (the 1500 Mega is as long as a 2500 Crew Cab Long Box). However, the 2500 has stiffer springs, which gives you a higher tow rating.

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
Josh, you have a 10.5, same as the pw and gasser megas....
I knew I had the 10.5, but I wasn't sure about the Mega Cab's (trying to help the dude out about towing rates). I didn't know if the Mega Hemi 1500 and Mega Hemi 2500 both had the 10.5 rear end. I guess I do now.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts