DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size socket do I need to remove the front axle nut on my '06 2500? Going to change my front axle u-joints and I heard its a 1-11/16" but I can't find one that big.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
I think its a 36MM

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
You can use a 1 11/16ths. Did it just last weekend.

·
Jeremy
1,992 Posts
99Slobra - Did you find it in the 6pnt or 12pnt?

I cant find the Craftsman 1-11/16 in 6pnt online and in store... Was thinking about this socket set... but its a 12pnt not a total fan for the price.

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
You don't need a 6 pt. for this application. Because of the way the crown nut is cut, you'll find that a 12pt will work quite nicely with PLENTY of grip. Check out farm supply stores as they'll carry a socket that size as its quite common with tractors.

Don't mind hump it, just get a 12pt, make sure you have the 3/4" adapter and knock the nut off. If you're not using airtools, take the nut off first before you jack up the truck or take off the tire. If you don't, you'll just spin the shafts. If the tires are already off, just zap it with an decent airgun and it will come off. I believe the torque spec on them is 240 ftlbs

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got a large socket set from harbor freight for ~$40 FYI.

I need to do my front axle ujoints, but cant get the danged hubs off.

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
Don't have the to take the hub off the short shaft to do U-joints... just makes it a lot easier. Pull the whole shaft and hub assembly out of the housing and go about taking out the u-joint. If the hub is seized to the spindle, put a pry bar between the long shaft and housing and press outwards. You can also put a bolt for the hub about halfway screwed in... along with a 18mm socket and an extension and beat it out that way.

·
Registered
87 Posts
thanks ill try that way. I took everything off, removed the bolts to the hub, and couldnt get it off. Put a 2 jaw puller on it and still didnt get it off. Ill try this way tomorrow, sick of my front u joints popping

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.