DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 96 2500 4x4 5.9 manual with 60k miles several months ago. It had been used for fith wheel towing. First few times out after hwy runs when I got off a ramp and came to a stop the oil pressure would drop to nothing and the engine would stall. Had to keep engine reved to keep running. Changed oil, same thing. Changed to 50-20w and it has been fine since but oil gets real dark after one hwy run after change. Oil pressure gague reads very low at hwy speed in 5th gear, comes up when downshift to 4th. Uses quite a bit of oil when towing. Put a mech gague in cab and it reads about 55 psi all the time even when factory gague is fluctuating. Also usually will not start on first crank but fires immediately on second crank. ABS/Brake lights stay on all the time also. Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I'd try changing your oil pressure sending unit. If the oil pressure drops below a certain psi, the ECM will shut the fuel pump down...hence the stalling. Obviously your getting good oil pressure, but the sending unit isn't seeing it.

There is ABS speed sensor located on the rear axle...this could be what giving you the light.

Is this the 5.9 (360) gas engine or the 5.9 Cummins diesel?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Okay...then that doesn't make a difference for what I suggested in my first post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.