DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
They call me Radio
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a 100 mile round trip today on state highways and my average according to the overhead was 23.6 mpg :D I was going 55 the whole time with about 400 lbs in the bed with the temp outside between 43-47 with some water on the road. One thing I noticed is that my RPM's were around 1300 - 1400 the whole time. Maybe its the weather but I NEVER remember my truck sitting that low in the RPM's. Also, the truck sounds great around those RPM's for cruising, so good that I was caught my attention today.

For some reason, this doesn't seem right. Don't get me wrong, I love the high MPG's but could this be a sign of bad things to come or am I just in shock?

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
i would say its okay, when i was on a trip to va in my truck i average 20mpg doing 65-67, so at 55 i would take it as being true, i remember reading somewhere if you stay below 55 you will get good gas mileage and everything over 55 wastes gas, only variable is that you have 400lbs in the bed, and the cold weather would actually help it alot, by getting cold dense air into the engine making it way more efficient!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Best I've ever done was 21+ @ 70 mph steady speed. Your results are believable and nothing to complan about

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,865 Posts
damn I would love to get good gas milage like that... how can a 6 cylinder with 5000 lbs = to a 8 cylinder with the same weight..

·
Registered
430 Posts
six pak said:
Best I've ever done was 21+ @ 70 mph steady speed. Your results are believable and nothing to complan about
Ditto. My problem is I can't drive 55. :D The extra weight would only make much difference if you were in stop/go traffic. That is impressive for a 4X4 though. :rck:

·
2013 Laramie Power Wagon
2,024 Posts
Its amazing what happens when you drive the speed limit or 55mph... Your fuel effenciency increases dramatically. Like said above, its too bad I cant drive 55, not only that, but I'd probably get run over by the slowest vehicle in the driving lane. When I goto work in the morning and come home in the evening (100mi roundtrip), I'm doing 85mph just to KEEP UP with traffic. And people are still passing me. This is in my 06 Saturn, NOT my Power Wagon. I dont drive that to work. haha

·
Registered
10,637 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My trip meter runs as much as 2.5mpg higher than when
I calculate gallons divided into miles traveled. Trip meters
are not accurate IMHO. The best my trip meter showed
was around 21mpg. It accually was 18mpg. That was at
70mph.

2,395 Posts
well im waiting to finish off my tank of gas to get the results in. im doing 100% stop and go town driving on this tank!! so far i dont think i've done too bad....250 miles on 5/8 of a tank. so i can easily go 300-350 on a full tank of CITY driving. im guessing i can do around 400 miles to the tank on highway driving...not too bad IMO.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
badblackhemi said:
well im waiting to finish off my tank of gas to get the results in. im doing 100% stop and go town driving on this tank!! so far i dont think i've done too bad....250 miles on 5/8 of a tank. so i can easily go 300-350 on a full tank of CITY driving. im guessing i can do around 400 miles to the tank on highway driving...not too bad IMO.
That is right about what mine does. On a
trip to my daughter's I put 260 miles and
had a 1/2 tank left.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My Hemi (sold) With 3.55's Got Around 24 Mpg If I Kept It To 55/60...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was suprised also. I drove about 160 miles to the dealership where I bought mine last weekend and on the way back I used a quarter tank. The console hit 16.8 as the highest and I didn't see much less. I also drive about 15 miles to work on the highway and it normally doesn't get much less than 15-16. I'm pretty damn happy with that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I get about 25MPG doing the same (speed/RPM). Well thats what my trip has told me. I have driven from Florida City to Key West and averaged 24.6. I think its great! I have put over 400 miles on in one tank of gas. :gr_patrio

·
Technology Handyman
1,062 Posts
The Best I Have ever done in mine is 14.9 i have a 2500 with a 4:10

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just took another road trip of 300 miles and the console up top hit 21.2mpg. I also got 410.9 miles out of 23.66 gallons on that tank. I never thought this motor was capable of that kinda mileage. I'm gonna drive up to Oregon from my place here in the bay which is 630 miles one way, so I'll post the mileage for the hell of it when I get back.

So far this ain't freakin bad from a 345hp motor. I'm still impressed.

·
Banned
62 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.