DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
RamYouOver1500
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my buddy's has a set of 22" wheels for sale and they are a really good deal and i want to buy them but the only thing is what about tires?

·
Dont touch my truck!!
173 Posts
they are definitely a necessity!!!

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
305/45/22 is a nice size.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just remember that tire selection at 22" is somewhat limited compared to 20". Also, bigger (and most of the time heavier) wheels tires will consequently wear out other parts much quicker. Ball joints, tie rods, etc...

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
2/4 Drop 305/40/22 no drop 305/45/22

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
On a 2500 :rolleyes:

I would make sure you check the load rating of the rim along with tires you plan on running.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
On a 2500 :rolleyes:

I would make sure you check the load rating of the rim along with tires you plan on running.
Oh, I missed that part. nevermind what I said..

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
haha...yea I was thinking you had 1500 also

·
^GM Goodwrench Certified^
2,918 Posts
you have a 22" rim in 8 lug???? Really???? Goodbye load rating and towing anything.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am running Toyo Open Country MTs in 37x13.50x22 on my 2004 2500. The wheels I have are Pro Comp 6089 8 lug chrome wheels and each has a rating of 3420 lbs. The tires are E rated and also have a 3420 lb rating. I have towed a 10,000 lb loaded enclosed car hauler numerous times with this setup as well as a 6,000 lb boat every weekend during the summer and have never had any problems. As long as your buddy's wheels are rated for a decent load capacity and the tires you get are at least D, preferably E, rated then you will be fine.

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
I am running Toyo Open Country MTs in 37x13.50x22 on my 2004 2500. The wheels I have are Pro Comp 6089 8 lug chrome wheels and each has a rating of 3420 lbs. The tires are E rated and also have a 3420 lb rating. I have towed a 10,000 lb loaded enclosed car hauler numerous times with this setup as well as a 6,000 lb boat every weekend during the summer and have never had any problems. As long as your buddy's wheels are rated for a decent load capacity and the tires you get are at least D, preferably E, rated then you will be fine.

But there lies another problem,.. if he doesn't want to lift his truck then he can't run 37's,.. if he stays stock, there is a sidewall height problem for load capacity.

Not everyone wishes to lift their truck,.. but in your case that is how you accomplished the load capacity.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Mudchucker that's not entirely true. Nitto terra grapplers come in a 285/55/22 (34.5 inch) which is rated at 3525 lbs, and a 285/50/22 (33.2 inch) which is rated at 3195 lbs. Both these tires are E rated and would be fine for towing.

But keep in mind when you have less sidewall you have a rougher ride and wont have near enough sidewall flex if you are going to be airing down to go offroading.

For offroad purposes a good rule of thumb is you want your rim size to be roughly half of your tire diameter so that the sidewall has room to flex. So if you are running 35 inch tires, 17 inch wheels are ideal. If you are running 40 inch tires then 20 inch wheels would be ideal.

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
Yes, I see where you are coming from, but now we are still reverting from stock 265 70 17.

What I am getting at is the hassle of finding proper tires, his selection goes from big, now to small, also from little $$ to big $$,..

The OP needs to know that all isn't sunshine when swapping out and he has to be ready to take a big hit in the wallet.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Very true. I was blown away at the price when I bought my tires. Especially since I have been buying 35 inch+ mud terrain tires for the last 10 years. You would think that a tire with the same overall outside diameter but a bigger wheel would be cheaper since it takes less rubber to make it. But it all goes to supply and demand and bigger wheels being the current trend.

Either way if he wants to go w/ the 22s there are tire options out there that will still allow him to tow, but like you said the tires will cost him more than it would if he were buying them to fit 17s

1 - 16 of 16 Posts