DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: We just bought an '07 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Big Horn Edition with upgraded 22" tires. From what I've been reading this isn't good as far as "rubbing" is concerned. I am interested in downsizing the tires and wanted to know if anyone has any input as to what the ideal size should be, 20" is the stock for the Big Horn but we had considered the 17". Any input? Is there any benefit to having the bigger tires (mpg, etc...)? We are planning to tow a trailer (not extremely heavy) and possibly a boat down the line.

· Registered
22,981 Posts
Assuming your suspension is stock, its not likely to cause any rubbing issues. If its lowered you may run into issues. The 22"s aren't going to cause much problem towing, unless its an extremely heavy trailer or load weight. Air Assist bags will help a lot in that area.

But if you want better mpg and better towing capacity then by all means get smaller rims/bigger tires. Chances are you can easily do a swap and get some cash for someones stock 17s with tires. Or just buy some 17s and tires you like, then re-coup that money by selling the 22"s for a good $1,500 or more.

KB

· You've been Hijacked
15,407 Posts
I'm confused about why 22's rub, but 20's and 17's don't. Get a couple more posts to your count so you can post pics and the show us what you got.

· Registered
13,585 Posts
On 22's you typically have a wider rim, wider tires and they rub on the control arms or shocks I believe. There is no rule of thumb it depends on your rim and tire sizes. You can make any size rim and tire rub if need be.

· You've been Hijacked
15,407 Posts
sca said:
On 22's you typically have a wider rim, wider tires and they rub on the control arms or shocks I believe. There is no rule of thumb it depends on your rim and tire sizes. You can make any size rim and tire rub if need be.
I understand that as I have a 22x10 in rim, but they do make 22x9.5's and it all depends on the backspacing if the tires will rub or not.

On a side note....it sounds to me like he doesn't really want the 22" wheels... so he should post pics and try to trade for a wheel size that he does want. :D

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
22" Tire Questions -update

The "he" is actually a "she" and to be perfectly honest, I am looking to go down to a 17" tire. I have taken pictures and will be posting the 22" wheels in classifieds arounds San Diego. Since we just drove it off the lot, the tires have less than 120 miles on them. How much should I ask for? Any suggestions?

I was shopping around for the best tire in a 17" that would allow me to eventually tow without costing me an arm and a leg. Any suggestions? I've read that the Goodyear Wrangler that comes stock is a good tire, but I am new to all of this and could benefit from your expertise.

Thanks ;)

· Registered
13,585 Posts
dodgeram1500_07 said:
The "he" is actually a "she" and to be perfectly honest, I am looking to go down to a 17" tire. I have taken pictures and will be posting the 22" wheels in classifieds arounds San Diego. Since we just drove it off the lot, the tires have less than 120 miles on them. How much should I ask for? Any suggestions?

I was shopping around for the best tire in a 17" that would allow me to eventually tow without costing me an arm and a leg. Any suggestions? I've read that the Goodyear Wrangler that comes stock is a good tire, but I am new to all of this and could benefit from your expertise.

Thanks ;)
Depending on what rims and tires you have somewhere in the 1500$ range maybe a bit more. Make sure we see you in the pics as well!

The Goodyear Wranglers are crap IMO!

· 2010 SRT8 Challenger
12,645 Posts
no, the goodyears are crap...if your gonna tow than get a D or E rated tire in about a 33x12.50x17 with some cheap 17s...that is if your not into bling which i dont think you are since you are swappin the double duece's...cant wait to see some pics

by the way, welcome to DT!!

· You've been Hijacked
15,407 Posts
dodgeram1500_07 said:

Thanks ;)
sorry about the he/she confusion. Also post them in the classifieds here. Free advertising and there seems to always be interest in 22's

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pictures of the Tires

OK - here are the pictures. I have just posted them on our local craigslist and will be posting them under the classifieds as well. Let me know what you think. I've seen 22" tires go for around $1800 in our area; and these are brand new; any thoughts?

Attachments

· If only I had more $$$
3,673 Posts
I seen your post on CL,.. you should be able to get that for them? Some guy/gal wanting to pimp their wagon may come along,.. I also found in my searching that Calli is no longer in business..

None the less, have you tried the dealer to get some cheap takeoffs, should be able to pick up all 4 plus tires for about $500,.. or cheaper..

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, so now that I am seeking the 17" tires, I wanted to know: Since the truck was originally a Big Horn (20" wheels), does that mean that the full size spare is a 20"? So I'd have to also get a 17" spare right? I've researched the size of the spare and have got no specifics on the sizes.

· If only I had more $$$
3,673 Posts
Yes, if it originally came with 20's, then it would have a 20" spare,.. same would be for 17's,.. Now with those 22's, did you get a 22" spare, of was it the 20"?

· You've been Hijacked
15,407 Posts
Yes your spare is a 20" spare which means that it has a 275/60/20 Goodyear HP tire on it. That tire specs out to basically 33". IMO you don't need a 17" spare, you could keep your 20, but maybe somebody else could give me info on this.

· Registered
22,981 Posts
Just keep the current spare. Just make sure you get some tires that are about 33"s for the 17"s. Otherwise you will throw your speedometer and odometer off. 285/70-17s are nice and beefy and right around 33"s. The 285s are maybe 1/4" shorter and you have a lot of brands and treads to choose from.

KB

Attachments

· Registered
22,981 Posts
Then get some 17s you like and some 285/70s and your set. if you want a smaller size like the stock 17s, then get some 265/70-17s. You just need to go to the dealer and have them reprogram the computer for the tire size is all. Most will do it for free, some charge 1hr labor. But the 265 and 285 are both available stock sizes, so the dealer can program it with no problems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.